• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Want to upgrade from factory

97vulcan

CEG'er
So my cd player is starting to skip very frequently in the contour, and I am toying with the thought of purchasing a new head unit. Thing is I don't know what I am looking for. I want to spend around $200. And I want great sound, and something that looks great in the car with MNB interior. Any suggestions??

Adam

obviously not flashy if he wants it to look nice w/ mnb. go w/ an alpine...nice unit, good price, ipod capable. if you want sat radio ready and hd ready get a 9883 if you dont... get a 9881. only around 179 bucks. dont forget to bypass the factory amp...that will make a world of a difference

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't want too flashy, just something that sounds good, and looks good. Alpine is a good brand? You will have to forgive me, sound systems are not my area.

Thanks,
Adam

Alpines are great units, but from the ones I seen all have that chrome edge finish and blue backlighting. I love their amps, I have 2 driving my 4 Pioneer TS A6881R 4way MRP F450 and mono MRP M450 amp for my 2 12" subs in the trunk.

pioneer are really good headunits for the price. you get a lot of features, reliable product, and a lot of models to choose from to suit what you want.

I see... Last year's top end model... nice!

Ya, they were selling new at like 400 bucks and up. The price is kinda cheap now. But its a great deck.

I had an old ass touchscreen eclipse cd player back in the days......It was cool. That was WAYYYY back. Im talkin like '98.

Here's a great deck alpine 9885 for 220.00 The Bio Lite screen is kinda cool too.....plus the blue buttons an the blue interior on Alpines is hotz.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpine-CDA-9885...ryZ39750QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Heres thier lil homepage on it...
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=CDA-9885

I suggest dont get raped by your local audio store. Go eBeg.

You gotta ask yourself,

Do you want to work an eq on the deck?

Do you want a color screen?

Do you want Ipod connectivity?

Do you want something easy, pretty lookin', and affordable? And just play the darn CD? Then those are the decks at below 150.00 pricepoint or less.

Last edited:
I would of found it easier to just ask, what do I want this deck to do? :shrug: lol. Keep in mind future upgrades as well... like.. maybe you've thought about having Satellite Radio, and you're unsure of it, you could get a deck that is sat. rad. ready, that way if you do choose to add it, you can do it without having to but a whole new radio. If you're going to go alpine as well, Alpine, has a Amp link if you buy V-12 amps (sold separately) that you can link up to 8 amps with and monitor as well as adjust from the head unit!

Last edited:
pioneer are really good headunits for the price. you get a lot of features, reliable product, and a lot of models to choose from to suit what you want.
The best bang for your buck is to look for last year's models. Pioneer is a definite good buy. Good decks w/ good features for the money. Look to Pioneer Premier for upper-end features for not much more money. Usually higher voltage pre-outs and a two year warranty instead of one year. Current Pioneer numbering is 4 digits for basic models (i.e. DEH-4800) and 3 digits for Premier models (i.e. DEH-480)

i have the pioneer deh-p6900ub, comes with a usb input on the back and a aux input on the box built in. You can add only one option to it. which is either bluetooth, sat. radio, or a second aux input. Although i am kinda bummed i cant put HD radio on it. im over that. great unit great features. i got it a great price to.

the usb allows you to plug in any audio device with a usb connection then the receiver locks it(like when plugged into a computer), and you then control the device from the face of the receiver or the remote.

i have the pioneer deh-p6900ub, comes with a usb input on the back and a aux input on the box built in. You can add only one option to it. which is either bluetooth, sat. radio, or a second aux input. Although i am kinda bummed i cant put HD radio on it. im over that. great unit great features. i got it a great price to.

the usb allows you to plug in any audio device with a usb connection then the receiver locks it(like when plugged into a computer), and you then control the device from the face of the receiver or the remote.

If done properly some of this add on interfaces can be daisy chained to allow you to control more than just one add on piece. For example I know the older IP BUS Ipod controllers had and input and an output, so you could hookup another device, for example a Sat Rad. I would double check some product pictures before being so bummed out.

Older Ipod controller for pioneer x800 and lower models.
adaptateur-pioneer-ipod-big.jpg

Ipod controller cable for newer x900 and up decks that support the speed cable.
EC.PIO.CDI200.JPG

Sat Rad tuner box (with in and out IP BUS) for pioneer head units.
PIOGEXP920XM.jpg

mine is the newer one. Ill have to check when i go out but i think their is only an in for the ip bus. no input and output. Also, their is no hd radio add on for this reciver. just sat, bluetooth and the extra aux

That deck should have IP BUS control...... according to pioneer's website it does. The deck only needs one IP BUS port, the rest of the components need to have 2 if you wish to do more than one device, but if you only want to add one device then you don't have to worry about weather it has 2 IP BUS ports then.. I think most devices have the dual ports, except for the aux in add-on adapter.

which looks like this.....
70098.jpg

Back