• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Factory Sound Question

sprindl

CEG'er
Would someone detail for me the components of the premium sound package that Ford offered in the Contour? I'm interested to compare it to the mid range aftermarket stuff that is available today.

Thanks,

-sp

Ford premium systems (at least in a contour/mystique) are the same quality as you would find in a car from the 60's. Just go aftermarket, it will sound much better and cost less.

Much easier to spend a few bucks on cheap aftermarket speakers. They may not be great, but they'll be better!

The stock aren't two-way or three-way, they are just standard 5x7 cones... Not that impressive.

Would someone detail for me the components of the premium sound package that Ford offered in the Contour? I'm interested to compare it to the mid range aftermarket stuff that is available today.

Thanks,

-sp

Premium sound package consists of a factory radio (head unit), this unit outputs low level signal to the factory amplifier (usually located behind the glove box), which then outputs high level to the 4 interior door speakers. The speakers are usually standard 6x8 single cone speakers.....

Your after-market products will be much better than the factory system if implemented properly. I suggest reading the how-to in the old forums on bypassing the factory amplifier if you intend on installing a new after-market HU.

Personally I initially replaced my factory speakers with Pioneer 6x8 4 way speakers. Keeping the factory head unit and amplifier.... Later when I got a new after-market HU I bypassed the factory amplifier since the after-market radios have their own built in amplifier. I high suggest not integrating with a factory amplified system for 2 reasons. 1. They don't sound right if they are not integrated properly... 2. If you do integrate, either your amplifier in your radio will burn out or the car's factory amplifier will burn out.

2cents3fo.gif

Back