• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Do you have to cut and splice to bypass factory amp?

not hard at all. as long as you know which color wires to connect on the harnesses. ill post a picture of my wiring harness connections tomorrow

not hard at all. as long as you know which color wires to connect on the harnesses. ill post a picture of my wiring harness connections tomorrow

Yeah... when you have the right harness and all your doing is matching the colors... at least for speakers that is..... power sometimes though.. matching can be bad....

thats good to know. I kinda think $65 is a little high, but i don't know enough about wiring to do it myself though :shrug:

Look, we all started somewhere, most of us back in the days before adapter harnesses. Heck, I wired my first radio by soldering and taping. I read the instructions I dont know how many times to make sure I got it right. It was my little intro to car audio and I was proud I did it myself.
Modern harnesses make it so much easier, not only do they have a standard wire color code across the industry now, but 95% of the time the wires are also labled.
Take this as your first little step into car audio, If you would rather pay somebody $65 to hook up 10 wires for you rather than matching the purple wire with the purple wire and the green wire with the green wire yourself, then your going to be paying out your ass for most of the simple things in life in the future when you could easily be doing it yourself. Next thing you know you'll be paying $150 for a Rockford Fosgate wire kit and paying an additonal $80 to have your new amp wired up at Circuit City. When you could have bought a better kit for $25 from our buddy at KnuKoncepts.com and wired it up yourself in 20 min.
I don't mean to come across as a jerk, sometimes audio rookies just need that little extra push to get started.

Wait, we all know you have to splice ANYTHING, so the question is, wich harness to use then?

Then thats simple. Either get the shorty bypass harness, or the long one, I bet that would reach no problem, that one CVT posted. But why? I bet its more money...you could extend em yourself.

"If I can get these two guys and that works then that is fine, I just don't want to deal with cutting a new harness in half and then using whatever speaker wire and running it under the dash...I don't care if this is a little more as to me it would be a cleaner install (again only to me and my warped perception)"

Then dont use crappy speaker wire to extend em? ^ -.0

Look, we all started somewhere, most of us back in the days before adapter harnesses. Heck, I wired my first radio by soldering and taping. I read the instructions I dont know how many times to make sure I got it right. It was my little intro to car audio and I was proud I did it myself.
Modern harnesses make it so much easier, not only do they have a standard wire color code across the industry now, but 95% of the time the wires are also labled.
Take this as your first little step into car audio, If you would rather pay somebody $65 to hook up 10 wires for you rather than matching the purple wire with the purple wire and the green wire with the green wire yourself, then your going to be paying out your ass for most of the simple things in life in the future when you could easily be doing it yourself. Next thing you know you'll be paying $150 for a Rockford Fosgate wire kit and paying an additonal $80 to have your new amp wired up at Circuit City. When you could have bought a better kit for $25 from our buddy at KnuKoncepts.com and wired it up yourself in 20 min.
I don't mean to come across as a jerk, sometimes audio rookies just need that little extra push to get started.

I don't think you were coming off as a jerk. You were just stating your opinion. I have no problem doing it myself. I just don't want to F anything up and I just wanted to see if the guy at the audio shop was just talking out of his butt or not.

Next thing you know you'll be paying $150 for a Rockford Fosgate wire kit and paying an additonal $80 to have your new amp wired up at Circuit City. When you could have bought a better kit for $25 from our buddy at KnuKoncepts.com and wired it up yourself in 20 min.

Well said tho dude. ^

But, its also true that noobs will overspend on the "rockford fosgate amp kit" for sure. lol!

But for the harness, its not like matching up purple to purple to these N00bs.

Like dude said in a another post, he didnt know the colors of the actual harness for the factory amp speaker harness. And you have to point that out too sometimes, cause ford sure didnt go with the industry standard purp/white/green/grey lol. That would be nice if they did!

I meant to quote that guy~ (.) (.)

Last edited:
But, its also true that noobs will overspend on the "rockford fosgate amp kit" for sure. lol!

What do you mean by that, I'm not really following? Are you saying they could get a cheaper amp kit else where, or that they buy the wrong things?

But for the harness, its not like matching up purple to purple to these N00bs.

Like dude said in a another post, he didnt know the colors of the actual harness for the factory amp speaker harness. And you have to point that out too sometimes, cause ford sure didnt go with the industry standard purp/white/green/grey lol. That would be nice if they did!

Not trying to put you down or anything, but just wanted to add that no manufacturer follows the standard wiring color scheme.... but you are right, it would be nice.... but then I wouldn't have a job.... :) I love it when people come in and their like... Ya I cut off my factory radio harness and the colors don't match my new radio harness..... then I get to say... that's why we sell harnesses, because they don't match up like that....

So to make this short and to give you another little boost of courage let me show you visually how easy this is to do. (if you didnt understand my "how-to bypass the factory amp" post from the old boards)
You buy this:
EC.MET.801770.JPG

Cut off the black connector
Then buy this
FD12B.jpg

And simply splice the same color wires together using crimp connectors
pRS1C-2374245w345.jpg

So unless you did this alot as a kid:
square_round.jpg

You shouldn't have a problem trying this one on your own.

What do you mean by that, I'm not really following? Are you saying they could get a cheaper amp kit else where, or that they buy the wrong things? Yes, exactly.

Not trying to put you down or anything, but just wanted to add that no manufacturer follows the standard wiring color scheme.... but you are right, it would be nice.... but then I wouldn't have a job.... :) I love it when people come in and their like... Ya I cut off my factory radio harness and the colors don't match my new radio harness..... then I get to say... that's why we sell harnesses, because they don't match up like that....

I know they dont lolz, cause thats why I wrote what I did.

Even the damn speakers come with harnesses on em from the factory lol. (not saying thats a bad thing by any-means ha)

I know a bypass is all good, and a quick cleaner install.

Cutting off that harness from the fac amp aint all that bad to do....Its a straight hardwire then for sure. And you save 18 dollars! WOW!

But the frustration could mount if,

A. you went in and CSVT was workin' and he just told you the wires arent the same color, and youre pissed lol. And he won't grab "the book" tell you what color wires are for which speak lolz.

B. And you aint got 19.99 on you right then. lol.

C. Youre trying to cut the harness off, and its 92 degrees outside and your electrical tape just ran out. Your nippers REALLY suck. And the phones ringin' off the hook.

D. You didn't do your Hooked on Phonix lesson yesterday.

I know they dont lolz, cause thats why I wrote what I did.

Even the damn speakers come with harnesses on em from the factory lol. (not saying thats a bad thing by any-means ha)

I know a bypass is all good, and a quick cleaner install.

Cutting off that harness from the fac amp aint all that bad to do....Its a straight hardwire then for sure. And you save 18 dollars! WOW!

But the frustration could mount if,

A. you went in and CSVT was workin' and he just told you the wires arent the same color, and youre pissed lol. And he won't grab "the book" tell you what color wires are for which speak lolz.

B. And you aint got 19.99 on you right then. lol.

C. Youre trying to cut the harness off, and its 92 degrees outside and your electrical tape just ran out. Your nippers REALLY suck. And the phones ringin' off the hook.

D. You didn't do your Hooked on Phonix lesson yesterday.

LOL!
asdcattivo.gif

Usually I'm pretty good about giving out the wire colors on here... unless I'm close enough to the person that I can just do it for them... Such as MLuko, blu_fuz, NVMYSVT, etc, etc...

I'd suggest buying harnesses online or over at American TV, they usually have the lowest parts in the area that I know of....

Black tape at that temperature will usually melt off in a few days and your bypass will look even worse.... some sort of crimps work better.... even if they're just crimp caps....

I didn't do my lesson on huked on fonix but, I dud du mi MECP reedin fur da dai.... :)

Back