• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Speaker Wiring Help, PLEASE!

keithr

Veteran CEG'er
Hey guys, I'll attempt to ask this one again but in more detail. Before anyone response back, please, not smart ass remarks about an adapter, I already know Im a little slow, but anyhow, here goes.

I installed my new deck, but I have no sound. Now there was this large Grey L shape thing going into the back of the factory deck, I was assuming this was for the speakers, so I cut it, good or bad? Everything works, just no sound. What I need to know is what each colored wire in that L shaped thing mean, IE: front + -, rear + - so I can match them up to my deck wiring, clear as mud? I have a 99 Silver frost SVT if this is any help. Thanks everyone.

Keith

Left Front (+) White/Black
Left Front (-) Brown/Yellow
Right Front (+) White/Red
Right Front (-) Brown/Yellow
Left Rear (+) White/Purple
Left Rear (-) Brown/White
Right Rear (+) White/Purple
Right Rear (-) Brown/White

or somethin'

My suggestion would have been go to a junk yard, get the plastic L shape harness off a contour, wire it back to the original way it was (the colors should match up) then go to walmart pic up a scosche wiring harness adapter and then the colors should match up to your deck.

NOTE: if you have enough wire on the harness that you cut off reuse it and save yourself a trip if not, cut the one off from the junkyard with as much slack on it as you can.

I would never cut the original harness's off for any reason besides if they were defective. this will save you a lot of time.

If you don't have the money to do the above get a D cell battery put one wire to the negative side and then rub one wire at a time to the positive side of the D cell until you hear the speaker make a scratching noise. the D cell will not harm any of your speakers so don't worry about that. once you have a match tape them into bundles to keep it organized.

If fordsvt98 is right match up those colors and do the battery thing to verify, should save you a considerable amount of time.

Back