• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Finally! No more stockness.

diviniti

CEG'er
Ok, I have gotten to the point of almost dreading driving the csvt. Simply because of the b.s. stock speakers that were just about blown.

So I set some time aside today to pop the panels off, cut out some adapters, and install my polk components. :drool: I love these speakers sooooooo much.
I sat in the driveway with the radio about full blast for a couple songs. My neighbors gave me some funny looks, but they all think I am nuts anyway.

polk.jpg

How easy does the panels come off. I would like to replace all 4 of my stockers.

I relpaced them in my truck and it was unbelievable how different it sounded.

you need to read some articles on tweeter palcement, i dont know why so many people put them up there, they sound best when they are next to the woofer... if you want them to sound even better, cut a hole in the door panel, and mount the tweeter next to the woofer!

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/2468.pdf go to page 4!

Last edited:
you need to read some articles on tweeter palcement, i dont know why so many people put them up there, they sound best when they are next to the woofer... if you want them to sound even better, cut a hole in the door panel, and mount the tweeter next to the woofer!

because it is easy. you only need to cut that small piece, and if you screw up then it is much cheaper than a door panel.

How easy does the panels come off. I would like to replace all 4 of my stockers.

I relpaced them in my truck and it was unbelievable how different it sounded.

They come off very easy. I think there is a write up somewhere on taking them off. But its not exactly rocket science.

Instead of having a huge debate on this, which I think you're wrong....

I placed them there for 2 reasons.

1) I did not have to cut any holes. I used a longer screw and went through the tweeter pod into the stock screw location.
2) I like the sound of them in that location.

:rolleyes:

Instead of having a huge debate on this, which I think you're wrong....

I placed them there for 2 reasons.

1) I did not have to cut any holes. I used a longer screw and went through the tweeter pod into the stock screw location.
2) I like the sound of them in that location.

:rolleyes:
Ya lets really not get this debate started cause i dont want to explain the most horrible speaker locations we have and how to fix it if you even want to stand a chance in a sq competition

Whichever method you choose, most manufacturers recommend that you mount your tweeters within 12" of the woofers. Otherwise, the high and low frequencies may reach your ears at different times, resulting in a sonic wave cancellation or "phase interference."

Well here's the fix that I did for MLuko after Circuit City did an install a couple years back... They ran wire for each door, if you look closely you can see the loomed wire and drilled holes... They drilled both front doors and each B pillar then pressed the wire through the rubber boots in the door. I made custom tweeter holders for each front door and properly mounted the crossovers and returned all doors to factory wiring connections. Some of the pictures are after, some of the ones in the middle are the before so you can see how crappily they were put together....

100_2930.JPG

100_2931.JPG

100_2932.JPG

Before, both front doors were this way, except for the passenger side the zip tie hadn't broken yet....
100_2933.JPG

100_2934.JPG

After.... :)
100_2935.JPG

100_2936.JPG

i'll get a picture of mine, even though i need to replace one of my blown tweeters, LOL

i just want to hear what soundQ has to say about mounting locations... im quite interested

Optimally, you should have the left and right speakers the same distance (also known as path length) away from the listeners. Since that isn't really possible in the car without major modifications, the goal is to minimize the difference in the path length between the listeners and the left and right speaker locations. This usually will result in kick panel locations as the best choice.

The relationship between the midrange and tweeter mounting locations should be as close as possible as well. In my car, I use point-source or coincident drivers for this reason, so that the tweeter and woofer generate sound from the same physical location.

Of course, time alignment and phase processors can compensate for bad install locations to a point, usually making the sound better for one location at the expense of all others.

One other point to make concerns the location of where to mount a tweeter in relation to the midrange (above/below/beside) if you have components. And this is going way back in my memory banks so I may not get it exactly right... but basically the focus of the sound from a component set will change depending on where the tweeter is located.

This is how it works... if you have a panel that has a mid and tweeter on it with the tweeter directly above the mid, draw an imaginary line from the center of the dome of the tweeter to the center of the woofer's dustcap. Now draw a line perpendicular to the first line and that is where the focus of the sound will be. With the tweeter above the woofer, the focus will be lower than the drivers because the perpendicular line will angle downward instead of straight at the listener. Have you ever noticed high end floor standing home speakers will have their tweeters stepped back a little from the front of the cabinet? This is why. They are trying to get the dome of the tweeter and the center of the mid on a vertical plane so the focus of the sound goes perfectly horizontal.

To apply this then to our cars, since the speker location is lower than our ears, you would want the tweeter to be below the mid so the focus of the sound goes up. Also, you would want the tweeter to be a little toward the rear of the car (for example, driver's side mount the tweeter at 7 o'clock relative to the mid whereas passenger side would be at 5 o'clock) so the focus of the sound is out in front of you. In our cars this isn't really practical since our 6x8 oval opening and grille tilt the other way. But even this can result in good sound (with the drivers side at 5-6 o'clock and the passenger side at 6-7'oclock). It is just that the music will be closer to you than optimal.

The whole a-pillar tweeter thing is another discussion entirely, one that I do not have much personal experience with. But, from what I have heard and observed, this location is best suited for very high frequencies only (above 8kHz) and used to give subtle sonic cues only and not as a primary "tweeter" location. Again, time alignment and phase processing can fix the bad location for one listener at the expense of others if a primary tweeter is mounted here.

Oh well, back to work I go.....

Back