• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New Speakers

svthawk

New CEG'er
Hi guys. I just picked up a new pair of polk db650s and am hoping to install them this weekend. I have some of the Metra 82-5600s already, but have never done any audio work to the car aside changing the HU and bypassing the factory amp.

Will I need to do anything special wiring wise when changing from the factory speakers to get power/signal to the polks?

Thanks

Hi guys. I just picked up a new pair of polk db650s and am hoping to install them this weekend. I have some of the Metra 82-5600s already, but have never done any audio work to the car aside changing the HU and bypassing the factory amp.

Will I need to do anything special wiring wise when changing from the factory speakers to get power/signal to the polks?

Thanks

As long as you have the right harnesses should just be plug and play, and of course taking the door panels off.... I believe my 99 CSVT ended up using a toyota harness which the plugs kinda look like a T when you look at them. I'd suggest harnesses, make it easier for installing then cutting off plugs and hardwiring, plus if you ever choose to change speakers or replace something, you can just unplug them and go....

just my $.02

Be prepared for possibly a couple screws not lining up correctly.

Self tappers and strategic placement will be your friend for install.

Dynamat if you can. if not no biggie. it will still sound excellent good luck man!

Other than that, watch those door panels caps dont be scared of that door panel: bottom kinda pulls out and the top slides up and off. Take that mirror cover off and youre good to go.

Post results please.

Wow, those door panels man. The upper triangle is ridiculous. I just pulled off the panel from below after scratching the hell out of it and STILL not popping off the screw cover.

As for the adapter, ya, the 82-5600 does not meet up at all, probably will have to make a custom abs or plywood adapter. And of course, best buy handed me incorrect speaker harnesses. Taking care of that tomorrow morning.

Ya, shoulda warned ya about the scratches lol. youd think that door plastic could take some heat, but its like ridiculously soft for some reason.

Wow, those door panels man. The upper triangle is ridiculous. I just pulled off the panel from below after scratching the hell out of it and STILL not popping off the screw cover.

As for the adapter, ya, the 82-5600 does not meet up at all, probably will have to make a custom abs or plywood adapter. And of course, best buy handed me incorrect speaker harnesses. Taking care of that tomorrow morning.

Easiest way to do it is to take your stock speakers in and have them match it up, I had the same problem as well, I went by like twice before I was like okay, just going to bring my car by and look until I find the right adapter... Which like I said is a toyota/something/something If I remember correctly...

This is the one right here I used....

MET729300.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/item/MET729300

Ya, those are the ones i SHOULD have ordered when I bought my speakers from CarDomain. Instead, I went to BestBuy and got some Metra 72-9301, which are the same except +/- are reversed. Lesson learned.

The speaker cutout is going to a fun situation to fix tomorrow when all the Mobile audio shops open. Gotta see if the scosche saf68 will fit, since the metra adapter doesnt even cover 2 out of 5 holes.

Ya, those are the ones i SHOULD have ordered when I bought my speakers from CarDomain. Instead, I went to BestBuy and got some Metra 72-9301, which are the same except +/- are reversed. Lesson learned.

The speaker cutout is going to a fun situation to fix tomorrow when all the Mobile audio shops open. Gotta see if the scosche saf68 will fit, since the metra adapter doesnt even cover 2 out of 5 holes.

WTF... Weird... Never noticed that before.... Lets hope you find them, I'd call 1st before running around as a rule of thumb.... I have some that I found in a speaker kit, but I've never looked into eyeing them up and seeing if they match the holes for my 6x8's... They inserts/reducers came in a package for Alpine Type R Component speakers....

pictures

pictures

Images of the install. Had a rattling problem I fixed with some mounting putty.

IMG_1954.jpg

IMG_1958.jpg

Those are polk db650 6.5" coaxials. They are just going from the HU with the amp bypass, but they sound much better than the stocks (especially on the treble side)

Back