• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Which in-dash deck?

genesis14

CEG'er
Alright, so I have been looking for a new deck to put in the 'tour. I have been traveling to a whole bunch of audio stores to see the differences between each HU. The only HU I haven't had a chance to look at is the Pioneer avic-n3.

So I need your input as to the best in-dash lcd HU.
Basically what I am looking for is
- ipod control (which is everywhere these days)
- Sirius conectivity (which is everywhere as well)
- GPS navigation (which is everywhere)

The HU's that I have been looking into are the
Clarion VRX775VD
Alpine IVA-D310
Pioneer AVIC-N3

Now I've had clarion in the past (before they got the cheaper plastic) and they sounded great. I notice that with Alpine you can't turn the volume much past half way (unless you want major clipping) and I haven't had any experience with the pioneers.

I am going to be running the decks off of amps, so I was wondering, if you turn the volume up, do rca's start clipping?

Well, I would believe that the clipping would be due to the limits of your amplifier. Not because of the clipping signal from the Brain.

I know the pioneers have a center channel out on the brain for a theater like performance. for discs with dolby I believe.

Only reason I like alpine i cause the pulse touch crap.

I see used 310's for 500 - 600

I seen one dude had buy it nows for new ones He had like 7 of em on d300's a while ago at 379!! Keep looking for a deal.

I mean take a look at this one http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpine-IVA-D300_W0QQitemZ230144017211QQihZ013QQcategoryZ3281QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I was short 100 bucks but, I dont see him on Ebay anymore lol.

Clarion....meh. Id rather go pioneer. But Alpine for some reason is my top choice if was to go LCD. Purely for the pulse touch thingamabobber.

I mean to save some $$ you can purchase the brain, the LCD, and the wires seperately if you can't afford it all at once too???

Last edited:
I was thinking of the just brain then the lcd hard mounted. But, i'd rather have a somewhat stock appearance in the dash, hence why I opted for the in-dash. I was thinking for a long time about a carputer. But I just don't want the hassle with setting everything up and then having to teach the wife how to use it, watching her screw it up then re-setting it all up again.

I was thinking of the older IVA-d300 because really the newer ones are just an upgraded version.

Last edited:
i really like the clarion with the removable faceplate http://www.clarion.com/us/en/produc.../VRX775VD/us-en-product-pf_1165294998349.html
its an amazing deck, and it hits hard with memphis, (but thats all i listen to :eek:) i wouldve bought one today because at the local shop they were on sale for 699.99 till today, but didnt have the funds with all thats going on now. they have a display and its friggin amazing.

If you want the best out of the Kenwood line get a Kenwood KVT-817 w/ the KNA-G510 nav add on....it covers all your grounds....Fastest Ipod interface on the market along with the ability to play video...Sirius Connectivity and obviously nav....the nav add on is actually a Garmin piece that is really slick....If you have ever seen a Garmin portable nav system it pretty much turns your screen into one. If you don't want to spend 2k though get the Kenwood KVT-617 package on crutchfield....comes with nav and its 1200 bucks!

Last edited:
PLEASE do not come on here and say if you want the best!!!!!
Neither of those kenwood units are the best. Just becuase you work for them doesn't make them the best either :)

They maybe good but i would put many units above either of the kenwoods.

Like the AVN-7000

I'm not really looking for the best of the best . I'm more or less looking for functionality and price. I'm willing to spend a couple of dollars but not tens of thousands. Its funny you mention the anv-7000 because I finally saw it today.

Last edited:
I put one in my buddies Envoy. The HDD navi is sweet!

You could do a double din with relocated HVAC controls. I heard someone did that before and the guy who did it is amazing!:)

PLEASE do not come on here and say if you want the best!!!!!
Neither of those kenwood units are the best. Just becuase you work for them doesn't make them the best either :)

They maybe good but i would put many units above either of the kenwoods.

Like the AVN-7000

my apologies i meant to say the best out of the Kenwood line not the best of the best

I thought about doing the double din and relocating the HVAC. But I just want a simplt in-dash screen that folds out of the way. I was even thinking of relocating the HVAC to the stereo and the stereo to the HVAC just to raise the screen a little. But after seeing the in-dashes in person (except for the pioneer and eclipse) I think the screen is fine where it sits. The guy in Calgary that wanted to sell me the eclipse told me the price was 3500 canadian. After looking on ebay I could buy 2.5 of those HU for the price he was quoting me. And there is no way in hell he was going to install it for me.

you cannont swap HVAC's and radio locations. The blend air door and all the other vent/hvac bs back there. You will get the deck about 4"s in

I know that you can't swap the hvac/stereo. I went to the car yard and had a look at some of the contours they had there that were dismantled and I saw that the air box was in the way. To bad really that could have been fun.

Thats why my double din had to be out 1.5"s on the bottom to make up the distance needed

DSC01261.jpg

Back