• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Lights still dim

SVTJames

New CEG'er
Tonight I just installed a full farrot capacitor to my system. But my lights still dim a little bit when cranked up to almost max, is this always going to dim a little bit? Or is this a sign of a weak alternator? Anyone else rockin the system in the SVT have any issues or comments?

If you don't want your lights to dim, I have a very simple, very inexpensive fix for you to try...

... don't turn up your volume to "almost max". :shrug:

I have never had a problem with my lights dimming and I have never used an external capacitor in any of my systems.

Tonight I just installed a full farrot capacitor to my system. But my lights still dim a little bit when cranked up to almost max, is this always going to dim a little bit? Or is this a sign of a weak alternator? Anyone else rockin the system in the SVT have any issues or comments?
do you have upgraded wires from the altenator to your battery and frame? if so.. start there.

First of all, it's "farad," not "farrot." But regardless...If you're going to be turning your music that high, just knock the bass down a bit when you do it. Otherwise don't be turning it up so much. Your cap isn't going to help you too much to be honest.

The way that I made my lights stop dimming was..... I took my system out:laugh: I really dont think there is much you can do unless you buy a optima battery or one of those high dollar batteries

The way that I made my lights stop dimming was..... I took my system out:laugh: I really dont think there is much you can do unless you buy a optima battery or one of those high dollar batteries

brand new motocraft battary does a good job as well. Had one in my 95 up until last summer. Even with the system in it, it still started at -50F. Never had a problem with lights dimming in either car, and motocraft in each one. 5 year warrenty to boot....can't go wrong.

what all do you have for your system, is the battery stock, wiring upgrades?
one of my friends has a memphis m3 12" with 1100 watt amp, and has an optima red top under the hood, and his lights dim, and his volt meter drops when it hits hard.. its in a blazer too

Tonight I just installed a full farrot capacitor to my system.

how is this supposed to help with dimming lights?

ferret-lib.jpg

I dunno man.

Its all about the QUALITY of your amp too.

If you bought a cheaper amp, its got cheap guts, cheap internal caps or not enough, wich means cheap parts wich means = unefficient.

Class A B AB C D amps whatever,

they all have a lil bit of different internals. So it naturally DRAWS more AMPERAGE from your Alternator .......in effect the amp DOESNT put out as much as YOU would like it to so you have to almost MAX it out n stuff, and still doesnt sound right, and I believe, doesnt use the current right. I DO believe this theory myself.

And you may say well it cant be THAT much more current draw......

To that I have no answer.

I know a lil' 600 watt amp from "Whoever Audio" doesnt or shouldnt take 2 batteries to make the interior and headlights "stable" you know? I mean damn come on.

If you got a lil ass power wire to feed your baby of an amp, combined with a small wack ass, loose ground, youre screwed to begin with. combine that with some weak rca's and it's done before you can say ...." "

Last edited:
Back