• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Speaker Questions

lunatic

CEG'er
Hello

I want to change the speakers in both front and back doors. What size do I need and how do you remove the speaker grill to install them. I don't want to do any customizing, drilling, cutting, etc. I just want to take out the factory speakers and swap in new, better ones.

Thanks.

Ok, you can fit sizes 5"x7" definitely, and most probably 6"x8". However, stock speakers take four screws. The 5"x7" ones I purchased took six screws, so I had to drill, seeing as none of the holes matched up. Drilling isn't that bad, though. I did it using just a regular ole drill bit :shrug:. As for the door panel, there is a HOW-TO about removing it. There are two screws located inside the handle that you grasp to close the door, one inside the door bezel, two by the door jamb, two underneath, and two on the side with the latch, and one big screw near the door jamb but pointing straight out, not towards the side. And obviously, you need to take off the window crank if you have one. Take a flathead screwdriver or something comparable, and while pushing the panel in with your hand or something, reach the screwdriver between the crank and the panel and push out the pin. (To put the crank back on, just put the pin on the crank and shove it back on) I recommend taking off the triangular vent, and to pull off the panel, you need to pull up and out, while pushing the door bezel through the panel. It'll make sense when you go to do it. Give yourself a good couple hours to replace the speakers if you're unsure about taking off the panel.

Thanks for the help. (Flamesuit on) Is there ANYTHING that's easy to fix or replace on these cars? Seriously, most cars there is just a clip under the speaker grill that just pops out and you change the speaker, clip the speaker grill back on and call it a day. Uhg! These cars must be in the top 3 for most difficult cars to work on! (flamesuit off lol) Thanks again for the help, I'll probably just pay somebody to do this then. I think I'm starting to realize why Ford did away with Contour/Mystiques.

Don't get your panties in a bunch... the door panel is very easy to get off/on. just a couple small screws and 4 bigger screws... I've had my door panels on and off lots of times. It just takes a couple moments.

Sorry for the rant guys. nah, I was getting the steps confused. I thought that I had to foillow all 13 of those steps just to change the speakers. I later realized that I only follow steps 1-5. The rest of the steps are for replacing the whole panle, door, etc.

Back