• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

IC: Tubular 4-bolt LCA's

Suppose an update is way over due. So I've not found a good source for doing the machining work. To make this happen I will have to purchase a decent lathe to machine them myself. So for the time being I'm going to install the OEM replacements I have so that I can get my car running.

I WILL build this design, but I will have to invest in a decent lathe. At this point that isn't in the cards right now. However it should be come Jan/Feb. Stay tuned folks.

Mike,

I'm sure CAT has some down time on a lathe you can use ;) my wife won't tell on you!

Alright I'm going to bring this back as I have finally got to the point to start doing this. Working on my initial order for materials. Since my original post I'm taking this in a slightly different direction. The biggest difference is the spherical bearing to a polyurethane bushing. This will allow for the end user to pick the amount of harshness they are willing to accept. Much like what people have been doing with their roll resistor mounts. I plan to make my initial set using a 94A durameter. These bushings will be custom as they will support the bar pin 4 bolt setup. The steel will be 1020 cold rolled steel, which will be powder coated (black will be standard you can request custom colors if you wish at your cost). These changes also make it possible for me to avoid the vast majority of the machining involved with the previous design, which will cut down on lead times. Also this design change will allow people to obtain the same ride quality as the OEM units if that is what they so wish.

Seems like there was a fair amount of interest before on these. So I'm going to move forward with building the first set, finalizing the welding jigs, and putting together an assembly process to help stream line the process for making the upcoming batches. I'll post up some pics when I have something to share.

I'll know on the price point when I finish the first set. However looking at raw material costs and what I'm going to have in cutting, welding, drilling, tapping, coating, etc. It's looking to be around $330-$360 a set.

Mike; from a maintenance perspective .... will it be possible to replace the subframe end bushes ? esp. the front one.

... say you choose a certain hardness of bush but then later decide to try another grade ..... will that be easy and or possible ?.. thanks ....G.

Mike; from a maintenance perspective .... will it be possible to replace the subframe end bushes ? esp. the front one.

... say you choose a certain hardness of bush but then later decide to try another grade ..... will that be easy and or possible ?.. thanks ....G.

I suppose I could go one step further and make my own molds for the bushings such that you could buy replacements. However there are no bushings off the shelf that will meet my needs. So with my current design path and to answer your question... is it possibly? - Yes... will it be easy? -No. It would be no different than filling roll resistors.

Back