• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

IC: Short Ram Air Intake

CSVT#49

Addicted CEG'er
Alright well there seemed to be interest in this K&N 57 Series FIPK kit, p/n 57-2534 (thread located here). The list price is $524.71 and sells for $303.99. I saw that and said that is ridiculous for what you get. I think I can do better.

So if there is interest I propose a SS inlet pipe, black silicone couplers (option for color potentially), open element filter, and a carbon fiber air box. Right now I'm thinking I can do this for $200-250 plus S&H. Majority of that price being for the air box. If no one wants CF and is willing to have a fiberglass or sheet metal air box the price will come down.

If there is enough interest I will build a kit and get final pricing. Would also need someone to do a test fit install, preferrable someone local so I can install it myself.

Pic of K&N kit
57-2534.jpg

Last edited:
Like I said I would be down for a CF box and inlet pipe. I would also hope the box would be a bit fuller more like the older PUD heat shields.

Could you do the GMK intake ?

Right now I'm going to focus on a complete short ram setup. From what I can see a good short ram with a heat shield is limited to basically one option, K&N. All of the SRI options don't really provide a drop in replacement either. My goal is to have this setup drop right in utilizing factory mounting requiring no modifications by the end user and basically look like it belongs there.

I never really asked or seen before, but the fact that a 3.0 UIM and how the piping is directed downwards as opposed to straight out that the SVT UIM does, will that affect staying put any? Or does there need to be an elbow there? I'd be down for a sheet metal one to keep the cost down.

I never really asked or seen before, but the fact that a 3.0 UIM and how the piping is directed downwards as opposed to straight out that the SVT UIM does, will that affect staying put any? Or does there need to be an elbow there? I'd be down for a sheet metal one to keep the cost down.

The 2.5L UIM and 3.0L UIM will require two different designs because of that very reason.

you can run the same short ram on the 3L uim (ive done it) but the heat shield will be different. it could probably be made to work, but youd need to relocate the battery for sure

I'm not as familiar with the plastic 3l uim'sBut if you got a 60 degree coupler instead of a straight at the throttle, i dont see a reason why that couldn't work

If I see that much interest we'll find out what it takes. The goal would be to allow for the battery to stay where it is. I'm confident I can come up with something whether that be a coupler change or a bent tube I'll get there.

My SVT will need an intake from the TB out. I would love to see another option for a CAI other than NPG.

How about you focus on finishing your car instead :p

Ha, well keep in mind this is only an interest thread too. I just saw that there seemed to be a need and I'm trying to fulfill it. It's not like I need a short ram setup for my car. However if people are having to spend $300+ to get a good setup that just isn't right.

I too may be interested. I don't really care if it's CF or not, cost is what I'm most concerned about. I could possibly offer some help in the way of drafting and I can get SS at cost and have it laser cut if there is any need for that!

Mike, PM me if any of that could be of any help.

Last edited:
Isn't there a difference from early to late build cars (2000). My IAT is pre MAF and my MAF adapter has the accommodation. Isn't it after the MAF in earlier cars? Does it even matter? Shut up?

This is more in reference of using the K&N setup. Trying to sell for you Mike.

I just redid mine piecing it together. So Im out.

Back