• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Official GB: Upgraded Oil Pan Baffle

Wow what a difference in price! But it would still be worth it....... Let us know when these go out!

My supplier charges me a flat start up rate for their laser CNC machine and then a piece part cost based on nesting capabilities. So yea, buying in volume is key.

Update: Welding of about half the parts will happen today. My hope is that by Tues I will have the parts that people have paid in full for shipped out. For those of you that have paid your deposit please pay your remaining balance at your earliest convenience. Once I have your full payment your part should ship out within a weeks time. Welding of parts will take place on weekends were I can utilize my brother who is a professional. I don't trust myself to weld this thin gauge metal especially given the cost of the stainless steel. I don't have spare parts so I can't afford any mistakes ;)

3L Escape pan

3escape1.jpg

3escape2.jpg

2.5L Contour pan

25pan1.jpg

25pan2.jpg

Got your PM, figured ill respond here.

Are you going to include all 6 holes on the lower tube when you get around to making everyone elses with the drill press? I'm not too concerned but it cant hurt to have the additional holes there.

Also can you get closer pics front and backside of a weld or two?

Got your PM, figured ill respond here.

Are you going to include all 6 holes on the lower tube when you get around to making everyone elses with the drill press? I'm not too concerned but it cant hurt to have the additional holes there.

Also can you get closer pics front and backside of a weld or two?

The final design will have four holes. I eliminated the holes towards the front and rear of the block. My reasoning for this is simply, when the car is in a corner those holes will be allowing more flow to go to the sides of the pan. The area underneath the tube as well as the other four holes should be more then sufficient. Remember the pickup actual sits below the bottom of the tube. However if anyone would like these holes to be added back in let me know and I could make an exception.

As for the welds, here are pics prior to clean up...

imag0320j.jpg

imag0319xn.jpg

imag0318n.jpg

To those of you that have not responded to my PM please let me know if your are satisfied with what I have presented here in this thread with these pictures. Thank you.

I hate to do this to ya Mike, but MIG welding stainless is not that "professional". Posting pictures of tack bead is worse yet. Trumping that is pictures of tacks separating from the base material not to mention the fact that the aim is all off...I should almost slap you...and your brother! LOL

Just give me those damn things. I'll weld them for you.

MIG welding may not look pretty, but it does do the job. My thought process on these parts was that MIG is lower cost and this part does not need to be aesthetically pleasing as function is more important then looks. Especially since the part is being installed inside the pan.

B as always I respect your opinions. I also appreciate your time on the phone as well.

So that said everyone looks like these parts will be TIG welded now, thanks to CrazyTalkSVT ;) I'll be getting him all of the parts tomorrow afternoon.

Well good news and bad news. Good news the TIG welded pieces look amazing. Bad news is three parts where not salvagable. Therefore I have to place an order for new material to weld. This leaves two options for people. One is if you don't want to wait or would like to spend your money elsewhere I can refund it. If you still want it and are willing to wait I'll place the order. The last people who paid are effected, which are 99Mystique ATX, Icefury, and docfeelgood111. I'll send PM's as well, but please let me know what you would like to do soon so I can order the material. Another option is I have the prototype that was MIG welded and cleaned. The part is solid, but only has four hand drilled holes in the tube. This part is available at a significantly discounted rate of $40 if someone wants it. The part will be sold as is though.

That said we were only able to weld up 3 parts the other night with more to follow as CrazytalkSVT is available. Here are pictures snapped prior to clean up.

tig1.jpg

tig2.jpg

tig3p.jpg

Last edited:
That looks so much cleaner! Great job either way. If the wait is extremely long I will keep my spot in line, if not I can hand mine over to the next guy cause my build is taking its sweet ass time!

- Amyn

I just went ahead and ordered more material based on the feedback I've received. I have enough for 5 more parts coming in. This way some of the other guys that missed out the first time now have the opportunity to get back in on it.

For any Members hesitating...Let me put on the Record...You won't find a better guy to deal with
than Mike!!!
Signed-Sealed-Delivered...It's Yours!!!!!!!!!!

I can't buy until finishing putting Por 15 anti-rust paint over every inch of my floor and underpan...then the rear strut brace goes In..

doug petepiece
Ontario Canada

Just an update Crazy and I will be attempting to weld up the remaining 3 pieces this afternoon. The lead time for the replacement parts for the last 3 will not be available until Sept 25th. So pending Crazy's schedule I'm guessing it could be a week after that before I'd be able to ship the last 3 parts out. Thanks for your patience.

Result of yesterday's work below. I'll be cleaning them all up this week and will have the first 6 shipped out this Friday. The remaining 3 will be completed when the parts come in as mentioned above. That said on with the pics. What is shown is the final product. Enjoy.

atwork.jpg
stackc.jpg

cleaned1.jpg

cleaned2.jpg

cleaned3.jpg

cleaned4.jpg

cleaned5.jpg

installed2.jpg

installed.jpg

Looks great guys, pretty cool CrazyTalk was able to step in and help us all out on this. And in the end this is a very cool part for a good price, thanks Mike. And dont even worry about cleaning up the welds on mine, I can do it, that time can be better spent on #49 :laugh:

Back