• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

molded svt side skirts. interest check/GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

yamaha racer 686

Hard-core CEG'er
well ive decided to start with doing molded fiberglass side skirts. these skirts do not have jack point covers.

they will look alot like keithr's set that he molded but will be of complete fiberglass.

ive started making the plugs for the molds.

these will retain the rear and side factory mounts but in the front they will use 2 sided tape to attach under the door. It was the easiest and cleanest way to attach the front. i could attach it like the razzi kit where it gets screwed down under the doors. but that left ugly screws and would make the mold and pieces more expensive. attaching like the factory front mounts, would mean i would have to secure strips of plastic or fiberglass to the inside in exactly the correct spots to meet up with the hangers under the doors. this adds time and materials making them more expensive. so thats why ive choosen 2 sided tape. should do the job just fine and make the skirt completely flush with the panel. they will come primed or gel coated.

price wise they should be between 200 and 300 for a set. depending on which type of resin and glass i go with. as well as how much glass is used. i want a product that is light and still has a bit of flex without it being super flimsy and easy to break.

for the first GB i would like to have at least 10 people interested. the more the better. i will have pictures up when i finish the plug, then the mold. then of the passenger side skirt, as it is the only extra skirt i have. if people are a go for this then i need to source a driver's side one.

list.
1. Black 98 CSVT

Ya those molded side skirts keithr did where awesome, I actually bought them off him, I never have to worry about the jack point covers falling off, I heard hes still doing them for people. Good luck with the buy though, I may be interested, just wanna see pics first.:cool:

Ya those molded side skirts keithr did where awesome, I actually bought them off him, I never have to worry about the jack point covers falling off, I heard hes still doing them for people. Good luck with the buy though, I may be interested, just wanna see pics first.:cool:

yep of course. when i get my pictures up ill post them.

While you're at it, why don't you make some fiberglass jackpoint covers? You'd sell them like hotcakes.:shrug:

Waiting for the prototypes to be made and the details worked out.

Just like any type of production I want to be sure everything is Aok.

Been thinking about molding my jackpoint covers into the skirt for some time now. Since you asked for input, I will say that you're offering a nice product for people that have lost their covers or damaged their skirts. For those like me that still have everything in good condition, it would be much cheaper to throw some plastic at the thing...

There you have it, my 0.02$...

i'm glad somebody received something they bought off of KeithR because i sure didn't.

...as far as the side skirts, would they attach the same?

Fiberglass jack point covers? I'm not sure how well those would function. The factory covers need to flex in order to remove them and clip them back in the skirts. I realize it's not much flex, but if they aren't designed thick enough, I see the fiberglass giving out real easy from stress. A quality design wouldn't be a problem, but it's not something you can really cheap out with.

Im with the full fiberglass side skirts, I think the jack point covers need to flex to much and might not work out as well as planned, although an excellent idea. Keep up the progress. :cool:

Really? How'd you manage to get them from, especially after so many people apparently had a hard time prying them away from him.
Mark

very interested. Anything is better than AAS skirts. But yeah I need to replace mine soon. I'll keep watching for progress, lemme know when I can send money and begin harassing you about the delivery date.... I mean wait patiently for delivery. BTW sorry posted also in the other interest check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back