• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Interest Check: Replacement Leather Steering Wheel Covers

Status
Not open for further replies.

96BlackSE

CEG'er
Is any one interested in a high quality replacement leather steering wheel cover?
Mine is really falling apart and I am thinking of getting one made instead of paying for an entire new steering wheel...
You would have to take off the old leather by the stitching and put this one on...
If there is enough interest we can make a GB included with detailed instructions for both tan and mb colors...

Let me know!

Wheelskins are already available and cost about $30-35.

I installed one on our 98 several years ago and it is still in excellent condition.

Installation took several hours because I elected to use a baseball stitch. This required a considerable amount of time working with two very long threads that had to be kept separate and fed through every hole on the cover.

Steve

Steve,
I am looking for a better fit/finish rather than the wheelskins which is basically made to fit all steering wheels that are the same size... And I am looking for a replacement cover thats gonna replace the existing one not go on top of it...

Also I got an other interesting idea anybody interested in suede? Like this?
E30_M3_Sportevo_Dash.jpg

I'm definately interested in a replacement leather cover, but I have a grey interior with a greay leather steering wheel (pre-98 SE) so I'd only be interested in grey. But this is something that would be awesome because those wheelskins that go over the top are tacky

Wheelskins are already available and cost about $30-35.

I installed one on our 98 several years ago and it is still in excellent condition.

Installation took several hours because I elected to use a baseball stitch. This required a considerable amount of time working with two very long threads that had to be kept separate and fed through every hole on the cover.

Steve

Where can we buy this steering wheel cover? Mine is literally missing pieces at the top and I will gladly spend 2 or more hours if it means doing it right.

Where can we buy this steering wheel cover? Mine is literally missing pieces at the top and I will gladly spend 2 or more hours if it means doing it right.

Virtually anywhere. Type in "Wheelskins" on Google, and you'll find plenty.

how on earth would we install this if it means that we remove all the old leather and then replace with new leather..?

You've got my interest perked, I had a wheelskin on my Cougar like 5 years ago and I never liked how it looked and my hands hurt for about a week later from lacing and stretching to get it all even.

Installation is pretty simple but will take a bit of time, you would have to remove your old cover and sew this one on by hand...

I am trying to source similar colors for the covers which seems to be harder than I thought

I'd be interested in a micro suede cover, although I don't know how practical suede would be since it's less durable then leather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back