• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Want to Buy Upgraded CSVT sway bars

Are you looking for anti-roll bars from a CSVT or aftermarket (larger) bars?

I have a rear bar from a 99 CSVT, and I could have the front if I dropped the subframe and removed it. (Ugh, dis not be cheap...) With the spring rates I'm running, I don't use the ARB's, the front is disconnected at one end.

Hey thanks for the response. I'm looking for larger, aftermarket bars. I already the factory anti-sway bars, but looking for something beefier to replace them.

Thanks B3NN3TT... I didn't know the factory front SVT sway bar was the best option for the front... I appreciate the heads-up!

Anyone have a BAT rear sway bar to sell???? :)

Your car has a BAT rear bar and boxed in subframe already.... ?

EDIT: I should say that it did have one installed at one point and AFAIK it was never removed.

Thanks B3NN3TT... I didn't know the factory front SVT sway bar was the best option for the front... I appreciate the heads-up!

I had a Roush rear sway bar (21mm) along with the larger Cougar front sway bar when I started autocrossing this car. Eventually I got hold of a smaller SVT Contour front bar and swapped it in, and the difference was really night and day. It really balanced the chassis right out and got rid of much of my understeer problems. I can still get it to push when applying power in a turn, but not at all like before.

I'd say the ONLY reason to EVER go with a larger front sway bar is if you install some kind of ungodly ludicrous rear sway bar, like a 24mm Aussie unit or something, and can't keep the rear end in line anymore.

Echo the above, a larger front bar will give you more mid-corner and corner exit traction issues, the understeer that B3NN3TT mentions. A slightly larger rear bar will make the car more "entertaining", easier to pivot the rear in autocross.

The anti-roll bar mounts on the rear subframes of these cars are known weak spots, even the factory bars will fracture the mounts. Seeing as how you live in the salt belt, you might want to consider one of these with your larger rear bar.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321189866401

Your car has a BAT rear bar and boxed in subframe already.... ?

EDIT: I should say that it did have one installed at one point and AFAIK it was never removed.

Hey Andy! It does/did??? I was under the car a few weekends ago and didn't notice the boxed subframe, but I saw that the rear sway bar was rusted to hell (not just surface rust) so I assumed it was the factory sway bar. Maybe it is, but it looks so bad I doubt a could get a good measurement on the diameter but I'll try with my digital calipers. Any other ways to tell if it has the BAT rear sway bar? The car seems kind of sloppy around turns, and as far as I can see none of the sway bars nor their mounting area are broken. Being that's its such a small car, it's lowered, and has stiff springs... I would think it would have handled this good or better on the stock rear sway bar, let alone a BAT rear sway bar. Maybe I'm just expecting too much out of this car... but it does seem to have a bit of body roll for what it is. I used to have a '92 SHO with new Tokico struts, Intrax springs, HD end-links with poly bushings, and factory sway bars and it seemed like it handled this good. And it was a bigger car. Maybe the struts/springs are just getting worn. Any idea how old that Koni's struts and springs might be? Thanks man!

I had a Roush rear sway bar (21mm) along with the larger Cougar front sway bar when I started autocrossing this car. Eventually I got hold of a smaller SVT Contour front bar and swapped it in, and the difference was really night and day. It really balanced the chassis right out and got rid of much of my understeer problems. I can still get it to push when applying power in a turn, but not at all like before.

I'd say the ONLY reason to EVER go with a larger front sway bar is if you install some kind of ungodly ludicrous rear sway bar, like a 24mm Aussie unit or something, and can't keep the rear end in line anymore.

Thanks for the info! I'll make sure I keep the factory front sway bar... looks like hell to change it out anyway, so good to hear it is good to keep lol.

Echo the above, a larger front bar will give you more mid-corner and corner exit traction issues, the understeer that B3NN3TT mentions. A slightly larger rear bar will make the car more "entertaining", easier to pivot the rear in autocross.

The anti-roll bar mounts on the rear subframes of these cars are known weak spots, even the factory bars will fracture the mounts. Seeing as how you live in the salt belt, you might want to consider one of these with your larger rear bar.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321189866401

Thank you! Glad to know they still sell these rear subframes new somewhere. The underside of this car is pretty bad with rust, so I'll take a closer look at the current rear subframe and see what overall condition it's in, and whether or not it is already boxed in with a BAT rear sway bar. Something about this suspension just feel sloppy on turns and I'm not sure what it is.

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

Transactions done here are at your own risk. CEG is not responsible.

Violations will receive a warning the first time and an infraction subsequent times.
  1. You must be registered for 60 days to post in the classifieds.
  2. Include a price and location.
  3. FS (for sale) or WTB (want to buy). No "feelers."
  4. When an item is sold, post "Sold!" in the topic. This will signal a moderator to lock the thread.
  5. You may post eBay auctions or Craigslist ads only if they are YOURS. Include the list price, location, etc.
  6. If you have multiple items for sale, please divide them up in the correct forums.
  7. Do not cross post your item in multiple areas.
  8. After an agreement has been made, all shipping talk should be via PM. You may put shipping options in the original post.
  9. Do not post negative comments about an item. If somebody wants $20k from a Contour, let them try.
  10. Bumping: After two weeks (14 days), you may post "Bump" to bump your item back to the top. You can post information updates, price changes, etc. at any time.

Last Updated: 7/20/22

Back