• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Water Pump (Duratec)

any other verifications that the 'new' ford waterpump is an adequate replacement?

what kinda $$ was this new waterpump from ford?

im thinking of going this route as preventative maint... but with limited experience i dont wanna get stuck. is installing the full pump really easier than just the impellar?
I replaced just the pump, then the entire kit later. Honestly, I think the kit was much easier. I think the only added difficulty is having to pull the UIM to get at the upper hose clamp. I'm not sure if it can be done w/o pulling it, but it's not like UIMs take very long to remove.

the revised WHITE impellar has been proven as a very durable replacement alternative. I could count on both hands (okay, and maybe one foot) the number of WHITE impellar failures, and the number of SHATTERS/breaks has been near zero.

Quite a common replacement alternative, and I wouldn't hesitate in the least.
There is no way to tell from the outside which one you have is there?

No.. unfortunately there is no way to tell from the exterior of the impellar section. Checking would require the same steps as replacement.. You could "technically" undo the 8 bolts (3 of which are TTY, technically) and just pry it back enough to see the color, however at this point you introduce some possible problems.

Your gasket may no longer seal, and you prob
ably need to completely remove the old gasket (scraping the old one off of both mating surfaces) and replace with a new one to ensure a seal. So, short answer: no.. there is no way to tell without going through the entire replacement procedure. (which only takes about an hour for an inexperienced person to do, without problems, mind you!)

Don't leave it loose.

I knew better, but did not have a new housing at the time of my engine swap. Here is how that bit of wisdom played out:

50.jpg
50.jpg

I'm thinking about doing this in a couple weeks. Has anyone tried the bosch replacement for the water pump and is it any good?

Installed my new pump and housing today to round out an overhaul of the cooling system that included installing an SVT radiator and replacing both the upper and the lower radiator hoses.

Everything went smoothly, thanks to my cable-operated, corbin-clamp pliers. :cool:

EXCEPT THE DAMN HOUSING BOLT SHEARED OFF IN THE HEAD OF MY ENGINE. :mad:

I used a torque wrench set to 18 Nm, but it made no difference. The NEW FORD BOLT fracking snapped! So much for going by the book!

Whats the smaller hose on the bottom of the WP for? Mine has a bulge in it and figured I might as well replace it while I have everything apart. Anyone have a part number?

I recently replaced the water pump on my car, then had to take it apart again because it was leaking from the very bottom. I figured it was the gasket, so I bought a new one, used a little gasket adhesive, and put it back together. I still see the little drip though from the bottom! :mad:

After looking around the sight, I saw some things about it leaking from a weephole? Or something on the bottom?

Alot of times when people clean off the old gasket they use razor blades and there are little nicks or gouges at the gasket mating surface. Did you check to make sure the gasket surface is smooth?

Also, for everyone doing water pumps, you should ALWAYS use an actual gasket coated lightly with BLACK high temp RTV on both sides. Let the RTV cure before adding coolant or starting the car. Ideally you should let it cure overnight but not everyone has the time or can be without a car for that long.

Yes the white impeller is fine, its redesigned and won't shatter. The black impellers were the ones you had to watch out for. I'd just buy the whole assembly from Ford. Easier to swap and work on, you get everything, and its OEM so you don't have to worry about garbage quality from some random manufacturer. You should also always put a new WP belt on whenever you do the swap. Yeah it's a little more money but its preventative maintenance.

If anyone wants to know, the Motorcraft part number for the "Waterpump assembly" which includes the housing is PW449. I found the best price at Amazon.com. $73.99 shipped.

I just put a metal GMB pump in,My csvt had a metal ac delco pump in there and the pulley was all wiggly and it was leaking slowly and i heard metal swirling around in there,so i got a good used 2002 cougar wp housing because my cone was thrashed. The gmb wp seems great i used a metal gasket also but i didnt use any gasket maker/sealer and mine isnt leaking at all. I hope it doesnt leak later on but i sanded it down and grinded the old gasket off the cougar wp housing so it was pretty smooth glade i got that over with i hate those hose clamps with just pliers i cursed more than i ever have in my whole life lol

Its a lot easier if you got that radiator hose clamp tool,it was a pita with the engine in the car and i used pliers i dont ever want to do that again lol

Back