• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

DIY: Build a Vacuum Leak Detector Smoke Machine

SkullV

Veteran CEG'er
I built one of these a while ago but it was all solid mounted and getting old. Between the rev hang, rough idle, and vacuum leak sounds on my car I figured I would just build another one and document the process in case anyone else is interested.

Parts:

• 1g Paint Can
  • 3x 3/8" x 1/4" Hex Bushing
  • 1x 1/4" x 1/4" MPT Nipple
  • 1/4" Airline Ball Valve
  • 1/4" Airline Connector
  • Weller Soldering Iron
  • JB Weld
Tools:

• Drill
  • Drill Bits

Drill out the nipple so it will slide completely over the soldering iron's metal shaft:​
null_zps42db220c.jpg

Drill two ~5/8" holes on opposite sides of the paint lid"​
null_zps65ac9c6d.jpg

Drill one ~5/8" hole on the side of the paint can near the bottom (high enough so that the hex bushing will not sit on the edge of the can):​
null_zps1208b32c.jpg

JBweld the 1/4" nipple onto the soldering iron shaft near the bottom of the shaft. It is very important to get a good seal here! Apply a second coat if necessary after the first coat cures.
null_zpsb2f2de22.jpg
JBweld each of the Hex Bushings into place, allow JBweld to cure, apply another coat of JBweld if necessary to seal. Once fully cured, thread in your soldering iron and your airline connectors. Use teflon paste/tape on all joints to ensure a proper seal:
null_zpsc24d88eb.jpg

null_zps7922a56d.jpg

Pretty simple stuff and works great when all hooked up. This weekend I'll take some demonstration photos and show how to use it on the car to actually detect leaks.

Build/use at your own risk. I assume no liability relating to the building/use of this machine.

Why not use a nut and a couple of nylon washers on your ports to seal it to the can versus all the screwing around with JB weld? Seems like that would be a lot easier and a lot less time consuming imo.

Back