• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Blank off EGR valve

ST Two Ton

CEG'er
Being from England I dont know if you Guys in the States are allowed to do this trick due to emission laws but over here its fine. Undo and remove the two bolts holding the EGR valve to the UIM, pull it away and at the same time slide out the gasket, now use the gasket as a template to make a blanking plate but do not put a hole in the centre, just the two bolt holes, you can make the plate from any thin metal, even an old soda can will be fine. Obtain TWO new gaskets from Ford and put one on each side of the blanking plate, then slide the three back onto place, then refit the bolts, job done. What this does is stop the socondaries from gumming up and even gives a slight improvement in MPG.

Anyone have a work around to prevent the "insufficient EGR flow" code that gets triggered on this side of the pond? What sensor informs the ECU of this condition?

can i remove the EGR valve all together and put blocking plates at each end with out the engine acting weird or out of place?

The DPFE sensor tells the computer how much EGR flow is happening. Differential pressure feedback sensor. You can usually fix the insufficient flow code by cleaning the passage in the upper intake that goes from the EGR valve to the port behind the throttle body. You remove the throttle body to clean. If you are careful you can reuse the silver graphited gasket and do it in under an hour. I cleaned mine for this code and I used a small dremel bit to clear the exit area larger to help keep it clear.

To remove codes for EGR valve completely people have reflashed with SCT tuners. I wouldn't do it because it does help prevent detonation and peak cylinder temps.

Back