• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Replacing Front Suspension

Tom - I did a quick "first glance" and this is one fine document!!! Are you a Tech Writer by trade? To answer a question you have - "18mm open face angle wrench (what’s the real name)" - Off-Set Wrench. Google search will reveal images of the various variations of these wrenches.

Me a tech writer ? I havnt even ranked to "shade-tree jackass". : ) I tried to be as detail oriented as possible, but now I realize I should of taken more pictures. I probably didn't because I spent so much time cursing the vehicle.

"Off-set wrench". In hindsight that seems kind of obvious.

thanks,

Mad Dog

I scanned through It quick. It looks to be well written and a great learning tool for new members or learning do it yourselfers. One tool I picked up that makes things easy for the top nut removal and install is the Pass through socket sets. I have a small craftsman set but you can get a set from Harbor Freight for less than $20 with coupons, Like THIS.

I am especially fond of the "don't do this" section. I feel sorry for anyone who lives in the rust belt who has to take the top nut off the strut. I can't see doing that with hand tools.

thanks,

Mad Dog

For the driver's side LCA removal/replace, all I had to do is Dremel the bolt head off and then install a new one, upside-down since the nut fits between the subframe and the trans!

This goes back ways, but while I thought about installing the bolt, head under the frame, if the nut were to come loose, the bolt would drop out and you would be screwed. Paranoia on my part.

Mad Dog

This goes back ways, but while I thought about installing the bolt, head under the frame, if the nut were to come loose, the bolt would drop out and you would be screwed. Paranoia on my part.

Mad Dog

There is a reason the bolts are installed how they are. They should be reinstalled the same way. Also the correct bolt can normally only can be procured from a dealer.

Back