• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Possible bumper splitter possible?

BAD SVT

Addicted CEG'er
mms_img1794467819_zpsc1e4102b.jpg

I saw this in a car magazine recently & was wondering if we could make it for our bumper. Svt specifically... I've got my doubts since a lotta folks have dropped some chedda on the duraflex. But my car is lowered & some roads aren't great around here. This is what i want for my car. I get a functional splitter without inching too much further towards the ground. I love what was done with this one. Just like the beemer in the picture, the middle part rises upwards in ours'. Sorry for the picture, but it was in a mag:p. Can it be done? Steve(svtstv)? What's it gonna take? If anything, it's sumthn to talk about...

The money's just not there IMO. Molds are expensive.

Not a bad time to learn fiberglass work though :) Sucks that the fiberglass forums have been down for months though.

I like the idea. The gelcoat on my mirko is trashed so I'm thinking about cutting it apart and building something else off of it.

I think the challenge becomes the angle of approach. Most BMWs front wheels are much nearer the tip of hte bumper than our cars. With something that extends that far out, the angle is further diminshed, making slight inclines scrapable.

I agree with SHOgoFast, with it sticking that far out you may have the same problems with clearance as with a lower splitter.

The real trick to it is the function. A big splitter like that is going to have to be STRONG to take any kind of speed. It will also make the rear end light on the highway. I have a similar splitter for my Mustang - just a flat panal style. Mine doesn't extend that far forward and tucks up flush behind the Roush splitter/airdam, but it creates the tunnel that is designed to make a low pressure pocket behind the radiator and draw air through while putting a lot of down force on the nose. To offset it, I had to switch to a rather large adjustable wing on the trunk lid to keep my back end on the ground while cornering on the track. Something to think about if you want to keep the car balanced.

Molding into the curve of the lower bumper on the SVT wouldn't be too bad for someone who is familiar with body work. A little alumilite and a free weekend can go a long way.

I think something small like the small carbon part of that splitter could look good.

The other is obviously carbon with a honeycomb core of some sort

Back