• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

HID's

ah my eyes...

seriously though projectors are the only way to install HID's and obtain the benefits that they provide. There area many threads on here that provide means of updating your headlights to install projectors. The cheapest option out there that works and has been documented on here is to buy a set of used Cougar headlights and remove the projectors from them. The lights will run you about $30 a piece at a junk yard. They can be installed on the Contour headlights with just a little modification. There is also a great how-to on here telling you how to take apart your headlights as well.

Tis true projectors are the way to go, but i'm not spending big bucks on new headlights for my truck or taking them apart. Popped some "cheap" HIDs in there, aimed them down a bit from stock, I can see waaay better, tow trailers daily which changes the angle of my headlights and I never get flashed. Now the difference between the same brand HID in the projectors on the cougar and the halogens in my truck is night and day, I can park the cougar parallel to a wall with the lights on and drool at the crispy clean line they make.

What's stupid is ignoring the safety of others for increased scattered light. I hated the OEM reflector HIDs on my S60R. I've spent a lot of hours looking to retrofit 35w units on my OEM halogen projectors in my Miata and although close, not OEM quality. My opinion is that aftermarket HID lighting should be more strictly enforced by the police and safety inspections. For the record, here's the thread I generated regarding my attempts to run HIDs in my Miata:

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=393678

The Volvo had the worst forward lighting of any car I've ever owned. Which is ironic considering how much Volvo is in to safety.

As far as ignoring the safety of other drivers, I disagree. I come across blue hairs driving around with their high beams on on a daily basis. because they're either too stupid to realize they are on or they are too blind to see. And when driving any of my cars, just about any SUV/Crossover or truck is big enough that their headlights shine straight in to my retina. And with the civic I just got and the ever increasing size of regular cars due to increasing safety regulations....just about every car on the road gives me the same problem at night.

I did mine at a time when putting projectors in a contour was still pretty experimental.

Even still I would rather buy a completed set than risk screwing up my own lights in the process.

I realize that you believe there is a "right way" to do it, and I agree to an extent....but I also believe that's the only reason you're going on about "driver safety."

ah my eyes...

seriously though projectors are the only way to install HID's and obtain the benefits that they provide. There area many threads on here that provide means of updating your headlights to install projectors. The cheapest option out there that works and has been documented on here is to buy a set of used Cougar headlights and remove the projectors from them. The lights will run you about $30 a piece at a junk yard. They can be installed on the Contour headlights with just a little modification. There is also a great how-to on here telling you how to take apart your headlights as well.

I would stay clear away from cougar projectors. Had them, and after a month or so I bought decent hid projectors. Their projection line sucks with hids because they're actually a halogen projector. And the retrofit is actually far from little modification. My current 2.5" projectors had less modification needed to fit and they look, perform, and fit crap tons better.

The only thing you need to know is common sense. Pretty much, open headlight, seperate reflector from housing, take a dremel and make a hole big enough for the projector, aim it, secure it with some epoxy or whatever you feel will hold, put it back together. Granted, this is very simplified, it still takes time and patience to get it down right and neatly.

Thx for all the input.. U guys r great for all the replies. I just pick up a set of damaged headlights from a Hyundai with projectors and I'm going to put them in here sometime soon. I will post picks when done. Again thx to everyone for their input and opinions.

Back