• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

1996 Mystique 5spd swap thread

96mystiquev6

CEG'er
I figured I'd make an actual thread for this, and stop using my thread in the new member forum.

First I lowered it on cougar 17's, blacked out all the chrome, new headlights, and added leather

100_0169.jpg

100_0170.jpg

100_0171.jpg

Then I decided to finally start the 5spd swap
1356384145308.jpg

1356907636597_zps2d42d6a6.jpg

1356907670377_zps887fb9b1.jpg

1356907682604_zps2d1d8025.jpg

1356907609995_zps27924aa7.jpg

The parts motor
1356932501006_zps15e6adc0.jpg

took the head off for fun

My new subframe!
1356932529921_zps984c14a2.jpg

May as well swap in a 3L now that you've got it torn down that far. Are you sticking with a rod style linkage or cable?

That 2.5 runs fine, and its not very hard to drop the drivetrain if he wants to upgrade. All the parts are rod shift, which is proving to make this a very easy swap.

I thought about going to 3L, I really want to, but I've heard people have had bad luck getting the pre-98 to tune the 3L. The only one I know of is blu fuz, and his was originally obd 1

Is his car even tuned? I thought he was running without a tune.
Luke had issues with his 97 se with the hybrid in it before he put everything into the cougar. I believe he said sct didn't support that computer or something and wouldnt do anything to help. It's been a while since I heard the details. You could run untuned, but longevity of the engine could be an issue if you bring the rpms up too often.

I thought about going to 3L, I really want to, but I've heard people have had bad luck getting the pre-98 to tune the 3L. The only one I know of is blu fuz, and his was originally obd 1

I am still OBD1 running stock '95 lower intake manifold, 17# injectors, and tune. I did buy a SCT Eliminator 4 selection flip chip and sent it out to get 3 tunes loaded on it with the "options" my car currently has. I still havn't done the 19# svt injectors, SVT LIM, or hooked up my tuned chip. The car runs really good as it sits and I have about 25-30,000 miles on my ported 2005 Taurus 3L swap with no tune and small injectors. Dyno at 190hp 193tq as it sits :eek:.

Not bad at all!

I think your only real option on the mystique would be to do like I'm doing in my 97 and swapping everything to 98-99 parts.

The most interesting (to me) thread on the CEG in long time . Best of luck on your build. Keep the pics coming:cool:

Thank you! To me it seems like almost everyone on here is too obsessed with svt's, not that svt's are bad, they are really cool, but I like things different, and what is more different than a pre-98 mystique?

I am so jealous of your sunroof, you did have that car lookin pretty sharp! I do have side skirts for this car as well, just gotta put them on.

Thanks! The sunroof was an aftermarket setup that was put in before i bought the car. The sideskirts really help the car look lower and more agressive.

I cant wait to see yours all finished up and with the skirts on. Keep up the great work!

Thanks, I am really excited to drive it again, should feel like a completley different car, going from a stock automatic to a 5spd with headers, svt lower/upper intake, and throttle body, along with a weapon r cold air intake.

I miss my old Pre98 Mystique. I think they look better than the Pre98 Contours by far. :cry:

You shush your filthy mouth! Best contours ever are '95's with svt kits on them :drool:. Kick ass mystique project though. Glad some other guys also like the non svts ;).

There are a few of us still around that prefer the pre98s. I can't wait to get my 97 SE on the road, it may not be the prettiest but it has all the options I wanted. Problem is I want to drive all my cars but can't afford to insure 5 cars at once lol

Josh, we gonna work on your mystique again this next weekend? I have Friday and Sunday off.

Keep it up! It's rare to see a modded non-SVT on the forums these days. :)

I've always wanted to do the same with a 95 Young America Mystique.

There are a few of us still around that prefer the pre98s. I can't wait to get my 97 SE on the road, it may not be the prettiest but it has all the options I wanted. Problem is I want to drive all my cars but can't afford to insure 5 cars at once lol

Josh, we gonna work on your mystique again this next weekend? I have Friday and Sunday off.

Totally up to you, I know we gotta get some of your stuff done as well haha. Remind me to bring that flywheel to town with me tonight so I can get it resurfaced! haha

You shush your filthy mouth! Best contours ever are '95's with svt kits on them :drool:. Kick ass mystique project though. Glad some other guys also like the non svts ;).

Yours is the sexiest Pre98 around, but if you did what you did to a pre 98 Mystique, it'd be even sexier.

Yours is the sexiest Pre98 around, but if you did what you did to a pre 98 Mystique, it'd be even sexier.

easier said than done lol with the pre98 mystiques bumper being so rigid it would be a challenge to graft an svt bumper to it and have it be strong enough not to crack. i have a couple ideas for that though.

Back