• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Original Owner XR Cougar

02cougarxr

New CEG'er
will just post these for now as the one I had all typed out just got deleted, so I'll reply with details tomorrow after you guys get to take a look. Car has 33k original miles, 25K of that in first two years before changes were made. here you go.

COUGFRONT_zps5a90a78d.jpg

black5_zps06f718a7.jpg

12_zps267e56f4.jpg

6_zps459ed92c.jpg

reply2_zpsea24f628.jpg

DSC00428_zpsf7b89993.jpg

4-1_zps1418fe9e.jpg

IMG_8631_zps4ef180c4.jpg

2-2_zpsad164195.jpg

Beautiful car. I really like the clean look of the car before the red accents also. But it's what your vision of your car should be so thumbs up.

Nice car! I also like it without the red...which is weird for me...because I like things that are loud and stand out from the crowd. Makes me think Corvette with those fender stripes.

So sexy! :drool: :drool: I was going to PM you on NECO for some pictures after I saw your avatar.

It's nice to see another XR on the forums. I had no idea how rare these cars were until after I bought mine.

All these pictures of Cougar's lately are really pushing me to buy one. They look so dang sexy.

I love this car! I really have to ask what all was done to the front bumper for the mesh though as my Cougar is missing the slats due to the first owners couple fender benders...

2011-08-25_16-39-31_899.jpg

Still looking for a correct driver side light and fogs for mine too..

Still looking for a correct driver side light and fogs for mine too..

I have a set of used fogs for an 01-02 if you need them. The passenger side has a broken mounting tab but they're otherwise in good shape. Do you have fog wiring already there? PM me for more info.

I still have pics of my black XR when I bought it at 33k, all it had was tint.

1557029584_l-1-2_zpsb92d54b0.jpg

Drove it for 2-3 years mostly stock up to 70k then did an intake headers exhaust and blew the diff. Thats when it got put away for a 3L and LSD which has now turned into waaay more than that haha.

I have always loved your car, I really like what you did with the front lower grill too. Although I too prefer it without the red stuff, makes the clean mostly black look of the car turned cluttered IMO. Did you have the holes for the spoiler filled? If so did you think about getting rid of the rear wiper too? That and removing the ding guard on the side would clean it up more. Very nice car tho, wish mine was in that good of shape and only had 33k on it.

The front bumper I customized over one winter after removing it from the car. I cut the slats out from the center and then actually reused them and made a molding that the mesh could be epoxied to. Everything was filled and smoothed before painting it with the mesh alread in place. I replaced the mesh in my wings west grill with the same type, it was off the shelf at the local speed shop, not the stuff from home depot (not stainless). If your bumper isn't perfect and it's just a simple cosmetic thing I would just get some mesh of some kind and do the same without making the molding perfect like I did. Paint it black or body color however.
DSC01974_zpsbdadf48c.jpg

DSC01973_zps6e92fe62.jpg

The wheels are Axis Spyder's in 18's. The trunk was shaved and filled, so there are no spoiler holes, or mercury emblem holes, I didn't want to have to have the bigger hole of the wiper arm welded closed, so I just left it for the time being. I have an S upper that I'll be putting on for the spring as seen here.

IMG_9623.jpg

I'm also going to be making a custom S inspired lower using two 99 style spoilers to make a flush mount for the trunk part only, not on the lights. Will be more subtle than the huge S lower. I'm going to call it the R lower.

So here's where I'm at with the red accents. I don't know if I like them or not either but, a couple things to consider, first, they are done really well, with a nice satin red that matches perfect the blood red color of the XR seats and badges, so it doesn't glow in person like it does in the pics. the fender stripes have a gunmetal border around them that matches the wheel color. I took the car to one show with it in this setup in 2011 before having it sit idle till now, and I couldn't believe the difference it made in people just coming up and actually taking a look. I don't necessarily think that it's going to stay long term, but I'm going to take it to a few this spring and see the reaction it gets. i don't mind if people like it or don't like it, it's good to go have conversations at these places, and sometimes you need to do something a little bold just to get that attention, whether it's good or bad. here are a couple more angles to show the fenders better.
IMG_8630_zps9ce05768.jpg

IMG_8632_zps79472332.jpg

IMG_8634_zps068c3fd2.jpg

IMG_8635_zps6710b696.jpg

IMG_8637_zpsd27f434e.jpg

and for what it's worth, the vehicle where the stripes truly belong, next year I'm redoing the black plastidip to all blue, don't see too many rams on blue 24's running around. Again, it's a good conversation starter.

ramforumz.jpg

I just noticed Photobucket is now charging for hosting pics. will have to find a new way to post them up.

Back