• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Pic request of fuel tank clearance!

CSVT#49

Addicted CEG'er
Alright I've changed my strategy yet again on the fuel delivery for my build. I'm thinking of adding this Hellmann fuel sump to my tank to supply a A1000 external fuel pump. However I don't know if I'll have the clearance with the tank installed on the car. So if someone could take a picture of the fuel tank clearance (if you could measure the ground clearance that would be AWESOME). I'm personally running a full BAT suspension setup, but beggars can't be choosers. Thanks!

Mike, do you want clearance to the ground?

I don't have pictures, but with my car aired out I have 3" of gas tank clearance to the ground...maybe 2.5" on some hard to reach low areas. I just ran out and measured it.

Yea the shortest sump I could find is one made by TSD, and it is 2 1/2". I'm contemplating just drilling a hole in the tank directly below the baffled area and then putting a 90deg AN bulkhead there.

EDIT:

... with my car aired out I have 3" of gas tank clearance to the ground...maybe 2.5" on some hard to reach low areas. I just ran out and measured it.

When you say aired out, do you mean it's slammed to the ground or raised all the way up. I'm assuming slammed.

Last edited:
Air out = no air in bags. Full drop. Looks like you will have some room there.

Yup, what blu said. Aired out is slammed. I would think you have plenty of clearance, Clarence.

I could take a picture, but you would only see my exhaust cuz it actually hangs a little lower and blocks the view.

Awesome... looks like my fuel system is going to be pretty darn robust after all. This makes me excited. As I've been staring at wiring circuits for the last couple of days trying to figure out how I could wire these twin Stealth 340's such that it would be a fail safe system in the event one pump died so that my engine wouldn't go way lean.

Anyone want to buy an Aeromotive Stealth 340lph pump NIB?? I have two ;)

Also found an even lower profile sump that has a drain too! Not to mention it is at a lower cost then the other ones I found...

Enter the BDP Fuel sump

c6f85c20.jpg

sumpcolors2.jpg

Back