• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My poor fella

ilovesvt

Veteran CEG'er
My poor CSVT has been neglected this is how it looks after 16 months. Ive put 11,000 miles on it since

The sun is really hard on it where its parked,right where the sun sets. And previous paint job sucks they did a horrible job

But since ive decided to keep it and repaint it. Not sure what color i want to go with Phantom blue/green from mazda or This new ford fusion black that had some bright colorful metallic in it dont know what its called yet LoL or the darkest grey i can get

Just thought id show how ugly mine is again,i thought it was ugly when i got it now its worse lol:blackeye:

I got to put my jack covers on but they seem loose im scared i might loose 1 or 3 i need to glue them on and find the right kind of jack to fit without damaging the skirts

Im excited again to start working on it,i lost motivation and wanted to get rid of it and someone wanted to buy it locally and i got cold feet and he flaked anyway lol

006..JPG003..JPG005..JPG001..JPG007..JPG

Bolt the jp covers on permanently from the back with a straight peice of steel and get a low pro jack from harborfreight. Cheap and work great. Other than needing the paint job the car looks to be in pretty good shape. ANd remove the bubbly tint please. Keep up the nice work

Thanks,Cool ill check that harbor freight jack out. Yea the bubble tints got to go. Im going to fix the rear caliper and put a new tension pulley and it will be drivable again. I also need to do the valve cover gaskets and get the uim and lim hot tanked and find the hissing sound coming from the manifold,and ive been tring to find good headlights at the yards but they all have broken tabs and cracks

Have you tried sanding your lights? They don't look too far gone from the photos, I've been able to make some pretty ugly headlights look halfway decent doing the sanding/polishing routine.

Duct tape on the inside of the skirts across the JP covers works nicely to keep them there, and then to jack the car up just pull the cover+tape off.

Body looks relatively straight. And is it the back side that catches the most sun. Bumper looks ”semi-gloss”. BTW...the black you are talking about is Tuxedo Black. Ford did good with that color. Last time I check, it was right around $500 (primer, paint, clearcoat (paintscratch.com)). But it depends on ”year” of the car. When I checked a couple years ago, it was closer to $1000! They changed suppliers due to pigment issues, just dont remember exactly when.

Have you tried sanding your lights? They don't look too far gone from the photos, I've been able to make some pretty ugly headlights look halfway decent doing the sanding/polishing routine.

The lights are done all the tabs are broken,and if you look in one picture the corner of the light broke off lol, i saw a pair of tyc headlights in mint condition at the yards one time but was scared of light output quality

The lights are done all the tabs are broken,and if you look in one picture the corner of the light broke off lol, i saw a pair of tyc headlights in mint condition at the yards one time but was scared of light output quality

I bought a mint set of TYC's locally for $40. For the price, I couldn't beat it. They're obviously not as good as OEM headlights, but if you can find them for a good price, go for it.

You should ditch that SE grille for the proper SVT piece. They're pretty cheap on ebay.
ImportedPhotos00047.jpg

It has character!

Not for anything, but I keep wax on my car and still had clearcoat issues. Not nearly as bad though.

I don't know what Ford did, but they did amaze me at the quality of the leather in these things. I have yet to see an SVT with worn out or ripped leather.

The leather in my 95 SE started to wear out on the side bolster....why can't more companies use the same type of leather as the SVT?

I bought a mint set of TYC's locally for $40. For the price, I couldn't beat it. They're obviously not as good as OEM headlights, but if you can find them for a good price, go for it.

You should ditch that SE grille for the proper SVT piece. They're pretty cheap on ebay.
ImportedPhotos00047.jpg

Yea wow those look clean i should have got those tycs i found at the junk yard well i guess the hunt begins lol....pick n pull here charges 40 bucks each almost

wow. im guessing the paint on my car probably hasn't been waxed since youve owned it? lets hope the new paint isn't neglected too. :)

When i first got it it had very little clear coat peeling,i never did wax it but i wasnt planning on keeping it black anyway,but yes for sure when i get a new paint job im going to use wax and soap with wax lol.....and im going to dish out some money on the really good clear coat that shines and last longer lol

Hows the Dash?

The dash is pretty good thats the one reason i like the early 98s it has that dash that doesnt curl up to a tidal wave lol,and it looks pretty cool too with that big plastic piece going across the defroster vents,but that plastic top piece has developed 1 crack this summer i was mad as Hell i even armor all it a lot but Texas heat is killer on everything lol

I don't know what Ford did, but they did amaze me at the quality of the leather in these things. I have yet to see an SVT with worn out or ripped leather.

Mine does have a bad spot on the top right part of the driver side, but its the thread coming out and it kinda opened just a little. and the bottom piece has a tear but this was like that when i got it.

Ford does make pretty good leather,my 1991 thunderbird supercoupe i had when i lived in Hawaii in 1997 had black leather that just wouldnt tear or wear out i had like 8 people piled in there all the time when i was a teenager and then i shipped it to Dallas in 2000 and when i sold it in 2005ish it still looked new almost lol the seats at least not the whole car

Back