• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What the **** is that noise?!?!?!?!?!? Please help!!!

crackerican69

Veteran CEG'er
It started ticking last week, then started making this noise on Saturday? Hasn't done it since????? Really dumbfounded on this one. Kinda sounds like it is coming from the crank pulley. The ticking, however, has not subsided. It has gotten worse. It is not there at idle, but is present with light throttle pressure, and "lightens up" with higher RPMs. Granted...some is from the TOB, but this is definitely new (like less than 2 weeks new). And my memory card in my phone took a crap so the video of the ticking is no longer. Will have one up first thing in the AM.

I need AS MUCH HELP AS POSSIBLE. This is a daily driver with no back up car.

NO CAR=NO WORK=NO MONEY=NO FIXNG CAR=NO WORK=NO MONEY=ME SAD :(

Well...the noise in the video hasnt been heard since then. And as far as the ”ticking” sound ive been hearing...I got it narrowed down to a lifter or a valve on the front bank. might try that quiet lifter stuff and see if that helps or should I just switch the head???

Well...the noise in the video hasnt been heard since then. And as far as the ”ticking” sound ive been hearing...I got it narrowed down to a lifter or a valve on the front bank. might try that quiet lifter stuff and see if that helps or should I just switch the head???
What do you use to quiet lifters? I've heard Lucas is good, but I haven't tried it yet.

There are no such lifters in the Duratech engine. There are cam follower buckets in the valvetrain that operate the valves so there is no such thing as a tappet noise in the valvetrain.

FGM

One of our CSVT's had a bad wrist pin which almost sounded like a tappet noise. You could tell it was a wrist pin because when you revved it up it would quiet down some and when you let off you could hear the piston rattle. Has the engine ever been apart. Does the engine have an exhaust miss................

FGM

Thats the one thing im affraid of. engine has never been apart and no miss that I know of. Mine ”rattles” with light throttle pressure after 2000 rpm. It has a rough idle at start up (less than 500 rpm), but gets better with temp, which started this week. And the noise is much worse when im.actually driving and putting ”stress” on the motor. Im leaning towards 3L and rebuild the 2.5. Dont have to many options left.

Now its doing this on first start up. Does it for about 3 minutes, then stops. And it also stalls randomly now too.

player.swf

Id imagine its the IAC or TPS.

So I see the video got taken down for whatever reason...
But after talking to my friend who had the same issue with his cougar, we have come to a main bearing. Largely in part to the pulley wobbles while sound is audible. Then spins fine when quiet. Tick-tick-tick=wobble-wobble-wobble. No sound=no wobble. If anyone can concur before I throw what little money I have into.a new motor. I really cant afford to, but if thats what I have to do,, then thats what I have to do. But if I dont, I would like to know ASAP.

Back