• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

RWD CSVT: PRT's CDW-27 RWD conversion build thread.

Pole120

Addicted CEG'er
Some of you follow PRT on Facebook(facebook.com/prtautosport) and keep up on what we're up to at the shop....well, with yesterday's sale of the built trans we had sitting around, the build will officially be re-beginning, so I figured it was time for all of CEG to have a look.

I've always had this build in the back of my mind since I picked up a world class t-5 trans some 5 years ago, and over those 5 years I have done a lot of research, a lot of planning, and a little dreaming. What really kicked this off this year, in addition to finishing the track SVT we've also always dreamed of building, was acquiring Hetfield's old SE for use as a mock-up chassis. It didn't take long and we had the front end fully dismantled and started taking measurements. The plan is/was to use this SE chassis to get a feel for everything, then clean up the design for final assembly into an SVT chassis. We weren't expecting to even look for that chassis till spring but couldn't pass up the deal handed down from Blu_fuz for a black E0 that needed more than a little work to live again. The body is straight with minimal rust and will make for a great car to run this in.

"So what's the plan?!?"

In true PRT style, the plan for this build is to stay clean, stay simple and end up with something that looks almost OEM. The car will run a turbocharged 3.0 Duratec mated to a T-5 transmission and driving a Mustang Cobra IRS. Unlike our track car there will be a more substantial interior, but severl changes are planned there as well. We intend to keep the outside lines of the car relatively unchanged, but there will be a few subtle touches that let you know this isn't your every day Contour.

A huge thanks goes out to all who have helped me brainstorm, offered ideas and encouraged me to even get this far. While the build has only just begun, things should start coming together relatively quickly. So with that, a teaser until work progresses on the new chassis this weekend...

223876_249578901732971_157240807633448_881901_185937_n.jpg

Awesome man, good luck on it, if anyone can do it, it's you. One question I have is what are you going to do suspension wise on it? Surely stock spring rates and struts are going to be a problem, especially in the rear. Oh well, I'm sure that'll be one of the last things you look at, either way all of CEG is really excited.

Awesome man, good luck on it, if anyone can do it, it's you. One question I have is what are you going to do suspension wise on it? Surely stock spring rates and struts are going to be a problem, especially in the rear. Oh well, I'm sure that'll be one of the last things you look at, either way all of CEG is really excited.

Front suspension will remain relatively unchanged with the exception of coil-overs and steering rack relocation. The current plan for the rear is a self contained system mounted to the Cobra IRS. Rather than using the standard Cobra strut/spring combo, I'm looking into using cantilevers and running coil over horizontally over the top. In addition to making it a clean install, it also means no more strut behind the tire, so I can use all of the stock rear wheel well the contour has to offer.

not sure if this has been disgusted but how are you going to get to the water pump once it's in the car?

Carefully? We've got a few plans in mind, but that is a back-burner item.

What are you doing for management (I know its a long time off but my engine runs amazingly better on a standalone).

What are you doing for management (I know its a long time off but my engine runs amazingly better on a standalone).

Xcal with PRP is the current plan. The initial goal for this setup is to get it running with NA no changes from OEM. Obviously the cars wiring harness will have to be modified, but we are trying to make this as plug and play as it can be. Again, simplicity is key which is why we're sticking with the Duratec powerplant.

Rock solid. Good like with the build... subscribing...

Nice. Cant wait for this one. This will be the first RWD tour if completed, right?

Yup, that we know of anyway. I doubt somebody would have completed that much work and no one on here know about it.

Last edited:
Yup, that we know of anyway. I doubt somebody would have completed that much work and know one on here know about it.

good question. years ago there was a mondeo owner who was going to do this also. As I recall the car was stripped competely down, and thats about where it was. Have no idea if it was ever completed or not.

Very Nice!

About the water pump issue...
Would the old taurus frontcover/FEAD be an option? You'd have a stray cam pulley on the rear, unless you used the 3.0 split port heads with matching 3l cams or hacked cams. I'd guess the FEAD sticks out too far, but, I also lose any concept of engine bay dimensions while imagining the engine actually facing the right way (forward).

I'm building a RWD Contour and the number one topic is the freaking water pump?? It's the last thing I'm worried about but I can assure you I've already got plans in mind.

I want you to keep in mind, that the water pump protrudes no farther than the cam and bellhousing, the firewall tapers toward the cabin and is only held in by 3 bolts that are located near the outer edge of the block.

Lincoln LS is all I'm going to say for right now.

Back