• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#6309 comes home!

Redeemer

Veteran CEG'er
So I went and bought another one... I am not sure if I should try to fix it or just use the parts. I know the fuel pump is probably toast, as I don't hear it prime when I turn the key. (and yes I put a battery in it before turning the key!) Before anyone even says it!

Well here she is!

DSCN6996.jpg

63096.jpg

DSCN7003.jpg

DSCN7004.jpg

So I went and bought another one... I am not sure if I should try to fix it or just use the parts. I know the fuel pump is probably toast, as I don't hear it prime when I turn the key. (and yes I put a battery in it before turning the key!)

Yes but did you connect the battery??

LOL, just kidding, but seriously, that looks like it would make a great step by step restoration.

Wow that car is rough... I support you if you try to rebuild it. If you use it for parts however contact me first :) Thanks for supporting me bro!

It dusgusts me what some people do to their OWN cars... I mean, look at that thing??? And what never stops amazing me is that it's their own money that they ruin... Absolutely no excuse to do that to a car.

:nonono:

Anyway .... I really hope you decide to restore it. But seeing the way it sits, I would not be surprised if you decided to strip the poor thing...

Depending on the size of the hills they were jumping in it... you might just need to reset the fuel pump inertia switch...

I didn't even think about that... I'll have to check it when I get home today. I'm gonna try and clean it up and see exactly how bad it is, But if I can get it running I will restore it.

Well the switch was tripped, unfortunately the fuel pump is toast. However I did get it started using starting fluid. So I'm in the market for a good fuel pump, Hopefully I can find a decent one cheap and save this car from being scrapped.

Let me ask this - did you take a test light/fluke meter to the fuel pump? If you are getting 12V to the pump with the key on, then yeah, its probably shot. I'd also check that Bo & Luke Duke didn't crush a fuel line/filter while flattening the hills.

If you are confident the pump is dead, I'll do my part in saving this SVT by shipping you a working spare I have. 98 SVT return style. I believe its stock, car has 109K. Fuel float is good, gauge always read right, pick-up filters are very clean. Its a good working pump assembly. Let me know if you need the locking ring as well. You in return can send me something back. My return address will be on the box. I thought I had fuel pump trouble - turns out my pump was getting only 7.4 volts. I have a running parts car and swapped pumps out in the early stages of troubleshooting.

PM me your info. Be careful removing the lines from your pump. The locking mechanism at the end of the lines (one red, one white) can be tricky.

Update:
After doing some troubleshooting, and buying a fuel pump from Livinsvt I got it running!

I found that the inertia switch was bad, It wasn't tripped but I wasn't getting power at the pump. So I bypassed the switch and it I was able hear the pump prime. So I decided to set up the camera and see what I could do.

#6309 video

Last edited:
Im selling a fuel cut of switch let me know if you need it.

Good job on getting her running!

Back