• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What's been keeping me from the contour

The Digital Slacker

Hard-core CEG'er
My Story:

After having my SVT since 2006 I decided it was time to let it become a dedicated garage ornament. Driving it less miles every year. 1200 miles in 2009, 700 miles in 2010 and 130 miles thus far this year. It doesn't need anything, I just kinda lost interest in it. Since it costs me so little to keep insured I just leave it in the garage if I need a backup car. I'll be back to do more work on it eventually.

I was looking for a sport hatchback that would let me carry things for work. Was looking for a 4 banger with a 5 speed and cloth interior. Pretty much anything else was negotiable based on price. I did some digging around vehix, autotrader, cars.com and fell in love with the yellow P5. After 4 months of looking I found one with 125k on it for 6300$. Went down to Delaware with 5k cash in my pocket and the dealer bit.

I drove it about 25k and the engine started to consume oil. It got bad. I am talking a quart every 600-800 miles. Big clouds of smoke every time the car started. After some reading on the boards here and posting up I had an offer from a local member to help replace the engine. We found a 2L from a Mazda 626 in a local yard and got that swapped. Put in a bunch of new parts: Timing belt and tensioners, plugs, wires, coil packs, air filter, and seals the whole way around. Took us about 10 hours from the time we started stripping the old engine down to the time I started up the new engine in the car.

About 8k miles later it started making a squealing noise. I was thinking, crap the new engine is toast. I'll admit, I'm not the best with cars. I like cars, I like working on cars... I'm just not good at it for whatever reason. So the only job I had was to tighten the tensioner for the accessory belt. I think I must have over-tightened it and the pulley on the waterpump went. Pat, from the boards, came down and helped me get that changed.

From there on out I got bit by the mod bug. Tokico blues and eibachs went on a few weeks later. A few more weeks later the brakes got done. A few more after that I fell into one of those limited production SLP hoods. Two weeks ago got a new in-dash navigation unit put in since the stock CD player stopped playing cds. Got the hood and bumpers painted and back from the shop two days ago. So here are some pictures of how it sits right now.

Future mods include rims. I'm torn with what I want to do. Going to 17's is a given since I want larger wheels. I think 18's are going to be too harsh for a DD. I hate the black rim look on cars so that's out. I am thinking about trying to find a set of the 17x7 Centerline Storms. If I can keep the shiny 5 spoke design I will. Otherwise I'd love to find a set of chrome plated Mazda6 5 spokes. I'm open to suggestions though if anyone has any.

As always, these are the mods I have made so feel free to comment.

Aesthetic mods:
- SLP Fiberglass Hood /w Custom paint
- Painted rear bumper exhaust surround
- Painted Gauge Surrounds
- Mazdaspeed Protege Shift Knob

Electrical / Audio
- Fog light mod
- jvc kw-nt3hdt in dash navigation
- MB Quart 5x7 replacement front speakers
- MB Quart Tweeter replacements
- 55w ApexCone HID

Suspension / Brakes
- Tokico Blues Struts
- Eibach P5 Spring Kit
- Crossdrilled & Slotted Rotors /w ceramic pads

ONTO THE PICS!
Before headlight buffing
Before1.JPG

Before2.JPG

After headlight buffing
After1.JPG

After2.JPG

Rear Bumper
Back%252520Bumper.JPG

Front Bumper:
Front.JPG

Front Shot:
Front%252520Bumper.JPG

Interior:
Inside.jpg

Painted Rings:
Painted%252520Rings.JPG

Center console and shift knob:
Center%252520Console.JPG

Link to full pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/103507358764282447494/Protege520

I think it looks great...and I like hood and how the stripe matches up with the grill. Get an intake, exhaust, and foglamps and I think you'd be good...the rims look fine in the pics.

I will get foglights. Just torn on what to get. I had the stock ones in but the drivers side was cracked and wouldn't pass inspection. The PIAA 520's are what I'm eying right now.

I think it looks great...and I like hood and how the stripe matches up with the grill. Get an intake, exhaust, and foglamps and I think you'd be good...the rims look fine in the pics.

+1 the P5 was gonna be my first car as an adult when I joined the military, but I got the CSVT :) hot lil ride though.. And loving the hood!

Nice Doug!
Can't wait to see it in person.
Very clean and tastefully done.

i wanted one for my first car. but ended up getting an 03 focus zts fully loaded for 5k instead..nice none the less..it looks really good sir!

Updates, so I guess that makes this Slacker Mobile 2.1?
Freshly painted valve covers. Freshly painted exhaust heat shield. I decided not to go too flashy with the exhaust cover since it will be replaced if/when I do headers.
IMG_4304.jpg

New emblem. I lost the old one so I did the angry-M mod.
IMG_4309.jpg

Repping Team Pro5 now.
IMG_4310.jpg

Still trying to figure out how the heck to get my functional air-duct into the factory air box. I need to find some sort of tubing I guess. Anyone else done this before or are there just not that many of these hoods?
IMG_4307.jpg

I have one of those fiberglass rear spoiler wing lips coming soon. I'll update as soon as I get it painted and on.

I love the performance of the p5. Also very sporty looking. I have swapped an engine into my friends P5. Ive also done a timing belt. It was 6 hours of hell for me. lol . Once I figured it out, it wasnt bad. Anyways. nice looking car!!

damn man... got the pro5 looking good. I sold mine just last month. Got more for it than i expected. flad to see youre keeping it alive. Hows the rust on it? i know mine was not so great.

Thinking about picking up a 323familia since I'm in europe now. i see a few around and it reminds me how much i miss my pro5

Quick updates:

Cracked 190,000 miles! I got the rear spoiler painted but i didn't get it mounted yet. I have all the car audio stuff to build the front sound stage up. My speakers are rated for 100w RMS which is great since the amp I got is supposed to be 100w RMS... except the birth sheet says 144w X 2 @ 4ohms. Once I get the adapter plates for the 6.5" speakers made on sunday i'll snap some install pics. I got the front lip spoiler mounted but about 6 hours after having it on I cracked part of it good. Looks like I get a fun project of fixing it. The paint on it wasn't the greatest and I have something a little but more custom in mind (and fix some of the fitment). Here are two shots from right after I got it on.
333435_10102996549083504_2119098050_o.jpg

468984_10102996550705254_967444533_o.jpg

Been a busy weekend. I have been dreading for the last two years taking off the side skirts and looking at the rust damage. Turns out this may be the last weekend I have this summer to work on cars so i decided to do it. Drivers side wasn't that bad, passenger side was sort of rough. I sanded down what I could, dremeled out the rust bubbles where I had to and coated the hell out of everything. I used rust reformer on everything that was really bad, the hit it and everything else under the car with the duplicolor rust fixer. Goes on clear but turns the rust black and is supposed to stop it. After that I threw a coat of paint on everything: Black for stuff under the side skirt and yellow with clear for the wheel arches. I figure even if it doesn't last all that long I'm okay doing this once a year to keep the car running. I've replaced or fixed so many things on it I just want to keep it now. Here is to rolling 300,000 miles with it. On to the pictures from the long weekend.
IMAG0211.jpg

IMAG0212.jpg
IMAG0213.jpg

I also had some old 'bumper chrome' paint laying around so I painted the inside of the factory rims. The previous owner didn't really clean them ever so they were rough. Sanded and masked then sprayed. I think they turned out nice. I also painted the calipers red as well. They were looking a bit ratty so color always helps. Also resprayed my rear exhaust valance: it wasn't black enough before. With the rest of the black paint I freshened up the windshield wiper arms as they were starting to look really weathered.

IMAG0216.jpg

IMAG0215.jpg

IMAG0222.jpg

Here are the finished product pictures. Not the prettiest of jobs but I wanted to make sure the rust was good and dead.

IMAG0217.jpg

IMAG0218.jpg

And here is the yellow car back together, washed, waxed, fully cleaned inside and happy.

IMAG0220.jpg

I am still working on fixing the front clip and painting it slightly differently thats hopefully unique to the p5 community. Also need to fit the rear wing since its been sitting for two months now painted.

Back