• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

It's blue!

CSVT#49

Addicted CEG'er
Alright after slaving away all day and sweating off about 10lbs in water weight my brother and I successfully painted the chassis. She's TruBlue and looking fine. 3 coats of base, and 4 coats of clear. The last coat of clear is more or less a sacrificial coat as we will be sanding/polishing it off. Such is life when you paint your car in the garage. Actually that said it really turned out damn good. I mean this quality of a job would have cost me $5000-8000 easy. I will have less then $2000 into it... and yes that is paying my brother for his time and expertise so labor was not free. All and all I am very happy with it. While I had the car stripped down to pretty much nothing we didn't paint the cabine (obviously) and we didn't really put to much paint in the cowl, trunk, and back areas of the engine bay just because they will not be seen by anyone being they will have a bunch of components covering it up. More or less the same quality of paint work from the factory. Although I will have a clear coat in my engine bay.

That said here are the pics as promised...

Master at work sporting the bandana to keep back the sweat. He's using all my spray equipment (one day I will learn to be as good as he is, although he did go to school for it ;))
masteratwork1.jpg

Base coat layers...
finalcoat1.jpg

finalcoat2.jpg

finalcoat3.jpg

finalcoat4.jpg

Final coat of clear (still a bit of fog in the air when I took the first shot)...
finalclear1.jpg

finalclear2.jpg

finalclear3.jpg

We painted the trunk as well, but I'm not going to waste my HOK clear covering it. I plan to just buy a cheap Duplicolor clear in a rattle can to top that off since it's not really a focal point. However here it is with base and what every was left in the gun for clear coat when we where finished.
finalclear8.jpg

holy hell, bet your glad to have that done! sigh, I wish I had a paint hookup like that.

Only half the battle, but yea I'm definitely glad my brother went to school for auto body and paint. We still need to do the doors, fenders, bumpers, door handles, hood hinges, trunk hinges, fuel door, and misc. interior bezels that I'm color matching to the exterior.

nice, looking forward to the finished product. What color blue is that?

Been out of the loop a while I see... House of Kolor, TruBlue

PS, only 11 more days til Car Craft... you're gonna have to hustle! :laugh:

Yea I don't know when my brother is going to have time to help me paint the rest of the car. It keeps dragging out longer and longer, but at least it's being done right the first time. Next hurdle is to get the doors painted and the car buffed. That way I can start reassembling the interior. I'm just hoping I can at least drive this car sometime this summer/fall.

Reminds me of David Zambrano's SVT. Looks good. I think his was a Lexus color with pearl added.

I thought it was Laguna Seca Blue and if it was, I was going to be making a trip up there to see it but since its not.....KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK ON IT, LOOKS AMAZING!

Contour's look great in blue, nice choice.

One comment though, please don't paint the interior bezels, I think that looks really ricey. I mean that's what the kids who have shopping cart civics and cavaliers do down the street from me. I think maybe putting carbon fiber wrap on it would look good, keep with the exterior theme. That said your car is bad ass, your attention to detail is impeccable which I love. Can't wait for videos of this beast in action :)

Back