• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

17" FSVT Wheels

ClubSport

CEG'er
I was ready for new tires for my CSVT and ran across a 17" FSVT set with Fuzion HRi tires on craigslist. Wheels in great shape with a few light scuffs and one with curb rash on the rim (one in photo). Tires are about 80% remaining life. Picked 'em up today.

So instead of new tires, I thought I would run 17" FSVT rims for the Spring/Summer.

Tires were siped, so I'm interested to see how they perform.

Woohoo!

99d77fd0.jpg

a49acf0d.jpg

siped? um ok, I can tell you that those tires are just a mere all season tire, they won't offer much in the performance category. that said, the rims look good, but would look alot better on your car.

My GF's dad had those tires and hated them. Noisy and they suck in the wet, but good score on the wheels. I have FSVT rims on mine for summers as well and love how they look. Now, get some longer studs and spacers.

Damm, I need to spend more time on craigs list, props to you Curtis for another great find! I search for these wheels from time to time but never seem find any worth buying.

I have those same tires, and they are loud, but they handle pretty well. Probably wouldn't buy them again though.

You are exactly right on your assessment of the tires. They are louder than many others I've had on cars. Since they are 45 profile, gotta think noise mostly due to sidewall and not tread design. Anybody use tires with this profile that are quiet?

The siping does help though. Makes the tread area more pliable as it contacts the road. Wet or dry.

I don't drive anywhere near the limits, but my initial thought is that these all season tires are a little less responsive than high performance tires of the same size.

That looks really good! You're lucky you don't deal with the amount of rust and corrosion we deal with here in the midwest..

You thought right. All season means what it means. Tread design is more complex for water/snow/slush/ice shed and traction. Thats where a lot of your "noise" comes from. They also usually have harder rubber compounds (especially fuzion) to prolong tire life. Good high-performance tires will have a more solid center for constant contact with the road and more structure in the shoulders for cornering. If you want a quiet, all-season tire in that size, look into Continental Extreme Contact DWS. If you want more performance, BF goodrich, michelin, yokahama, pirelli, some kuhmo, and bridgestone all have great options. Keep in mind though, the lower the treadwear number the softer the tire. More grippy but less life

You are exactly right on your assessment of the tires. They are louder than many others I've had on cars. Since they are 45 profile, gotta think noise mostly due to sidewall and not tread design. Anybody use tires with this profile that are quiet?

yes. people run 215/45R17 or 225/45R17 all the time. check out the wheel and tire forum.

however my Falken RT-615s and Hankook R-S2's are quiet.

I don't think the sidewall has anything to do with the noise on these. Like I mentioned earlier my GF's dad is running stock size on his Toyota Corolla and still, noisy. I think it’s the thread design and compound. I run 45 profile Michelin Pilots on my car and they are quite and very grippy, but wear faster than Bridgestone Potenza’s I had before on my stock wheels.

Nice find!! :cool: Those wheels sell like hotcakes on here...
As for the tires, they look like you have them on backwards (if they are directional tires), but I'm not familiar with the Fuzions much, so I could be wrong.:shrug:
All I know is they seem to be a kinda "cheapy" tire that they sell at PepBoys around here. Alot of people around here put em on their cars before they trade em in, just to say they have New tires.... :laugh:

Nice find!! :cool: Those wheels sell like hotcakes on here...
As for the tires, they look like you have them on backwards (if they are directional tires), but I'm not familiar with the Fuzions much, so I could be wrong.:shrug:
All I know is they seem to be a kinda "cheapy" tire that they sell at PepBoys around here. Alot of people around here put em on their cars before they trade em in, just to say they have New tires.... :laugh:

I had the same question about whether the tires are directional. They are not, but they do have an inside and outside sidewall. I think they are low priced performance tires ($90 each range) which is probably a reasonable tire cost for a 12 year old car. They do transfer a lot of road noise though.

200 mile trip with new wheels and Fuzion HRi tires

200 mile trip with new wheels and Fuzion HRi tires

Did 200 miles of freeway today with the new wheel/tire set. Not bad. Very stable sidewall. Not as good as the Yoko's that were on the car, but hey, they are all-season.

Tires are LOUD (turn up radio loud) over rough paving, but not bad on smooth. No tramlining (following groves in pavement) either.

Back