• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Broke it

alien_yet_familiar

Hard-core CEG'er
It's a good thing that I took calendar pictures Sunday afternoon, because I hit a deer Sunday night. :nonono: A pickup hit it in the oncoming lane and threw it right into me. There wasn't anywhere to go where there wasn't something to hit, and the deer was the smallest.

On to the carnage:

Deerhits001.jpg

Deerhits010.jpg

Deerhits004.jpg

Deerhits011.jpg

Both headlights have sheared tabs, and the body shop told me that because they're Ford lights that they'll try to reattach the tabs instead of replacing, but that they might need to just put aftermarket lights in. The hood has some scratches in it, the driver's door has a good dent and the mirror was almost ripped off. I couldn't open the driver's door - the fender was bent in and kept it from opening. They fixed that for me today, so I don't have to do any acrobatics to get in from the passenger side any more.

The final quote for repair was just under $1800. It's not as much as I thought it would be, so I was happy for that. The body shop is a bit behind, so I'll drop it off Monday the 16th and they should have it done by either Friday or the next Monday.

From the quote:

Parts - $257
Body Labor - $715
Paint Labor - $468
Paint Supplies - $298

And the paint supply line is by the hour, so I don't think it's the actual charge for the paint, but I'm not sure.

They have to repaint the hood, the fender, and part of the door, so I thought it was fairly reasonable. I expected it to be way higher, mostly due to part cost.

I've got full coverage insurance. Maybe I should include the KY with the deductible check? :laugh:

I've used this body shop before, and gotten nothing but top notch work from them. They are professional, clean, and do lots of insurance work so I didn't even have to have an adjuster look at it. All I care about is that it's done right the first time, and I know this shop will deliver.

Good it's minor. I don't know why they won't buy you new Ford lights. At least get TYC's from Rock. Not Depots.

Good it's minor. I don't know why they won't buy you new Ford lights. At least get TYC's from Rock. Not Depots.

QFT. If insurance is picking this up i would demand ford lights. I wouldn't let them get off easy and get lights that may not match the body lines (in the case of depo lights which i have a set of) just to be nice.

I see TYC lights all the time on Contours, and they always seem to fit right. However, Ford lights would be better, especially if insurance is picking this up. Go OEM or go home :laugh:

Get the OEM ford replacements and then make sure you keep the old lights with broken tabs because I want you to send them to me. Drop me a pm when you are ready.

Sucks to see the damage, it seems that t-reds that have Enkei Anthracite GF-1s wheels are just not meant to be.... they attract damage.

Glad your ok...

1800 isn't tooo bad. On my grand am I needed a hood and bumper, and that was 1900$. It is amazing how fast that stuff adds up.

Get the OEM ford replacements and then make sure you keep the old lights with broken tabs because I want you to send them to me. Drop me a pm when you are ready.

Sucks to see the damage, it seems that t-reds that have Enkei Anthracite GF-1s wheels are just not meant to be.... they attract damage.

I'll do that if they have to replace the lights instead of being able to repair them. I'm going to ask them to leave anything they take off in the car so I can choose what to toss and not just have it all go in the trash.

I was thinking about practicing a hightower on the old lights, but if you have more need for them (they're not hazed at all, only two years old) maybe you could trade me a little powdercoating for them. :cool:

Back