• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

1980 Electric Car

steelblueSE

Hard-core CEG'er
During a landscaping job today I noticed a weird car in our customer's yard. I began to ask the guy about it. Turns out it was made by Commuter Vehicles and came in 2 body styles- a 2 door and a bigger size for mailmen. The vehicle is from 1980 and had expired tags from 82 so it was fully street legal. He said it runs on 8 6volt marine batteries wired in series and was able to be fully charged by a 110v outlet in about 8-10 hours. Range was only 40 miles at up to 40mph and he said he paid $5600 for it. I have never seen such a unique looking automobile.

090807141341.jpg

090807141358.jpg

090807141417.jpg

090807141446.jpg

Here's a little teaser of what's chillin in the garage. I will update its thread very soon.

it looks like they chopped off the front few feet of an 80s train car for an electric track.

needless to say, I want one.

At first I thought it was a Diahatsu Midget. The guy said the motor is only equivalent to 7.5hp lol.

your link doesnt work. I found the page but the link wasnt working for me either.

wikipedia said:
The Citicar was produced between 1974 and 1977 by a U.S. company called Sebring-Vanguard, Inc., based in Florida. The Citicar and variants are the most produced electric car in American automobile history. Sebring-Vanguard was sold to Commuter Vehicles, Inc. after Sebring-Vanguard was declared bankrupt in 1977. Commuter Vehicles, Inc. produced similar vehicles (the Comuta-car and Comuta-Van) from 1979 to 1982.

History
The Citicar, a small electric vehicle was first produced in Florida in 1974 by a company called Sebring-Vanguard partly in response to the mid-1970's fuel crisis. The Citicar was a tiny golf cart sized car that could go at a top speed of about 39 MPH. Early versions had no extra features such as locking doors or air conditioning. In 1976, enough Citicars were produced to promote Sebring-Vanguard to the position of being the U.S. #6 auto manufacturer (after GM, Ford, Chrysler, AMC, and Checker (Taxis...)

Production of the Citicar continued until 1977 with about 2,300 Citicars produced. Commuter Vehicles, Inc. purchased the Citicar design, and renamed the vehicle Comuta-Car. Production of an upgraded version began in 1979 and Commuter Vehicles, Inc. produced an estimated 2,000 Comuta-cars and Comuta-vans. At about 4,300 C-Car variants produced, it still holds the record for most road-legal electric cars made in automobile history.

Models
The Citicar came in three models. Coupe, the smallest of the three, had a diagonal front, a roof parallel to the road, and a back with a 90 degree angle to the road. Later production coupes had a much quieter and somewhat faster ratio Spicer/Dana differential and 6 HP motor.

The next model in line is the Comuta-car, which moved the batteries from under the seat to the bumpers, making the vehicle about 16 inches longer than the 8 foot long Citicar.

The largest of the three was called the Citivan, or Comuta Van, which still held two passengers, but also had room for storage. It was the only model with a trunk and sliding door. All of the vehicles can run for up to 40 miles per charge.

lol the van looks like a spaceship on wheels

250px-Citivan.jpg

Last edited:
I think i would keep it in a storage container, however..or build a special shed for it to keep it from rusting.

Probably just me though :p

OH man, at first i thought that viper engine was going in that triangle of a car.

Now THAT, would have been something.

There's one I those ev's that buzzes around my town. Floridas medium speed vehicle laws are good for those wanting an ev.

Back