• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

And so it begins...

SVTRacer

Hard-core CEG'er
So as some remember, my SVT clocked out a few months ago back in February. It's been sitting the same spot since then and dad had been putting the project off since then. I finally got him motivated to get it started and we did so today! Here's what it's going to get:

port-matched 3L
SVT cams(probably)
headers/y pipe
test pipe and exhuast(later on)
Torsen/quaife (one of those two)
Cabin air filter(i saw the other thread, it's making do a swap)
and a few other cosmetic modifications as we putt along.

onto the pics!(will be more posts, stupid 10 image rule)

garage shuffle
001.jpg

006.jpg

the V will stay where it is, and the Z28 will be going over here for the time being
004.jpg

007.jpg

all cleaned out
009.jpg

car finally in, we had to push it all the way in, the SOB would not start
010.jpg

jacked up and dad just taking a look underneath
013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

oil and radiator flush, dad looking down and me doing all the work, heh.
017.jpg

more to come:

more:

018.jpg

some wires were birttle and broke. (anyone know where to get some new ones or help me out? hehe)
042.jpg

UIM removed and Holy Carbon!
045.jpg

047.jpg

"coil pack" removed
050.jpg

and all closed up for the night, we started late and dad was hungry.
052.jpg

053.jpg

Tomorrow, I get off work at 9ish AM. So, i plan on to remove the brakes, hubs, and front bumper while he is at work and we'll try the shafts and other things. more pics to come!

Well keep plenty of pictures and updates as you move forward. I will be planning the same swap so keep an eye on your spending for me too ha! From what I gather, we'll be looking at a cool $2500 with a tune?

Sweet Z! Any pics/stats on it?? I used to have a 91 Z28 with the L98 350 TPI engine. It was a beast, and it lasted 248K miles before the fuel pump crapped out and i retired her..

Image13.jpg

AggressiveZ28.jpg

Man.. I wish i had a garage :nonono:

why does it look like every car in the fam including the van has nice rims and your stuck rocking stockers:crazy:

The brittle/cracked pieces you showed are vacuum lines, not wires. Good you saw that now so you can get it replaced. Good luck ;)

Well keep plenty of pictures and updates as you move forward. I will be planning the same swap so keep an eye on your spending for me too ha! From what I gather, we'll be looking at a cool $2500 with a tune?
I'll keep it on tabs, with the motor,all the cosmetic stuff and the exhuast parts AFTER the car is running, i think im looking a little north of 3K.

Sweet Z! Any pics/stats on it?? I used to have a 91 Z28 with the L98 350 TPI engine. It was a beast, and it lasted 248K miles before the fuel pump crapped out and i retired her..

Man.. I wish i had a garage :nonono:

I'll send you a PM with more pictures of it.

why does it look like every car in the fam including the van has nice rims and your stuck rocking stockers:crazy:
LOL. the ones on the van were supposed to go on the gran prix, but they didnt fit right. So, they ended up on the van. and the V still is on stockers too.:laugh:

Tell your dad to give me a call tomorrow.
i've been trying to get him to call, he's putting that off too. But it'll happen one day. probably closer to when the motor is 1/2 out or so.

I have a good set of those vacuum lines you can have if you want them.
PM sent.

and the MI'ers will agree to this, but I know it was an MI car before i took it in. i have proof!

the screws that hold the front bumper on...
002.jpg

and, anyway to get this out, without screwing the threads up, unless i can manage with one screw on that side:crazy:
003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

I had a similar experience when working on a Brent372's car. His car was also from MI and the bolts did exactly the same thing. The little brackets also broke and just let the bolt spin around. What I had to do was remove the entire fender and bumper at the same time. Once I did that then I used a die grinder and get in between the bolt carefully not to damage the fender or bumper.

I would suggest you call someone to help you on this as you will need 2 people one to hold the bumper and the other one to pull the fender.

my silver car was a michigan car and did the same thing with the bumper bolts. you dont have to do all that work to get those bolts out. thats ridiculous. iirc, theres metal clips that the bolt threads through. i just cut the clips off with some side cutters and the bolts fell right out. i replaced the hardware with some long bolts, nuts, and washers. it took me literally 5 minutes to cut off the tabs and get the bumper off after i realized what was holding the bolts in there

btw, i like your garage floor

Last edited:
Smalls; the metal clips, the screw goes through that right? and theres so much :censored::censored::censored::censored: rust and crap in there, i cant even move the clip. I nee some PB Blaster...and i get paid friday:blackeye:. maybe i'll just take the debit card and go get some:crazy:

and thanks for the compliment on the garage floor, its starting to flake and peel though.

mine was the same way. it was sooooo rusty. but i had a really nice pair of dikes and cut right through it. you're seriously gonna waste a LOT of time if you remove the fender. try getting a small screwdriver underneath the metal tabs and bending them up. you can probably just break them that way if they are that rusty.

ive been tying that. i need some PB Blaster. lol i think im just gonna suck it up and go out and get some.

Smalls; the metal clips, the screw goes through that right? and theres so much :censored::censored::censored::censored: rust and crap in there, i cant even move the clip. I nee some PB Blaster...and i get paid friday:blackeye:. maybe i'll just take the debit card and go get some:crazy:

and thanks for the compliment on the garage floor, its starting to flake and peel though.

I used a grinder...and grinded them off :shrug: Took me literally 10 mins to do on each side.

Why take off the front bumper? I had no issues with it being on. I only removed the hood.

Don't worry too much about the vacuum lines...I think I broke every one of mine accidently cuz they were so brittle. I just went to Advanced and got some replacement rubber vacuum hose...works just as good as long as you know where to hook it all up.

Good luck with the swap! You'll be pleased, trust me. I hope to see it on RFP this year.

dad would like to fix it up, it's got a really bad crack that runs from the driver side foglight all the way down to the bottom.

and i dont think it'll be done for RFP, maybe i dont know. even so, i probably wont bring it. I'll be in the CTS-V. IF we even go this year, there's another event that dad wants to do that day too.

just a tad bit update.

i pulled the cabin air filter out; i still have to get a new one. i know they are dirt cheap.
0032.jpg

Also, with what happened to that screw in my front bumper, i got fed up with WD-40 and bought some WD-40 on steroids.:crazy:

PB Blaster!
0042.jpg

those two bottles should hold up for now, i know i'll be going back for more. it's 4.99 a bottle!
and NO the Corona is NOT mine:laugh:

Back