• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New Mod: Mondeo Trip Computer, modified, the money shots!

Icefury

Veteran CEG'er
Just got done installing my Mondeo Trip computer into my CSVT. I still need to wire up the extra sensor functions (project for another weekend), but the basic functions are fully functional. The trip computer has been modified with wide angle blue led's and reverse lcd film. Overall I'm extremely pleased with how well it turned out and how it flows with the rest of my interior.

MondeoTrip1.jpg

MondeoTrip2.jpg

MondeoTrip3.jpg

MondeoTrip4.jpg

Nightshot3.jpg

What do you think?

(Disclaimer: I'm not the first CEG'r to use a Mondeo Trip computer, but probably the first one in a long time. It was originally done several years ago but all info about it is sadly lost in the archives.)

Not the fan of the colour of the light, but that is pretty cool. If I had a contour daily driver I'd look into getting one of those for sure.

almost. how come you didn't match the pillar gauges?
probably because ther is only one company I can think of right now that has any indiglow pillar guages and that is faze and well frankly they arent the greatest, thats the reason why i'd bet.

Looks good man, real good.

Just got done installing my Mondeo Trip computer into my CSVT. I still need to wire up the extra sensor functions (project for another weekend), but the basic functions are fully functional.
Hey looks good in a contour. You have what i had 'til recently... a contour pcm and a trip computer. I would be interested to see what readings you get from the 'instantaneous fuel consumption' setting. I used to get 0 mpg when stationary and 99 mpg when moving. I'm hoping that using a contour engine loom and pcm allows the trip computer to work properly... G.

probably because ther is only one company I can think of right now that has any indiglow pillar guages and that is faze and well frankly they arent the greatest, thats the reason why i'd bet.

but he can still put different bulbs or leds in them like he did with the window switches to change the color. and autometer's lunar series is an indiglow gauge if he wants to buy all new gauges. i'm sure he wouldn't have any trouble selling his old gauge set on the forums.

I used to get 0 mpg when stationary and 99 mpg when moving.

Sounds like the instant mileage display in my 83 Cadillac. Floor it and it went to 0, let up and it went to 99 but when you went to the average setting it would say 13.4 which is what you got if you did the math. So funny.

Same here...
and how about a "how-to" ???

Hectik1- Yes, Autometer sells Indiglo C2 series gauges that would match the rest of my interior. Additionally, I could always install blue led bulbs into my existing gauges as well. I kind of like the clean illumination of the white led bulbs and while it's not a match to the rest of the blue led theme, it certainly does not clash with it. All of my interior lights have been converted to white led's as well.

Brent372- The Mondeo trip computer has the following functions....

(Basic, works with no modification with clock harness)

1) Clock (12 or 24hr format)
2) Calendar
3) Stopwatch

(Advanced additional wiring/sensors needed)

4) Outside Temperature **sensor needed**
5) MPH (current speed)
6) Average MPG
7) Miles until tank is empty
8) Fuel pump duty cycle (LPH)

After I'm done wiring everything in, I will write a custom tailored CSVT How-To. Until that time, a very good wiring how to can be found here.....

http://www.mirez.co.uk/Trips.htm

Wiring in the tempature and mph functions is relatively easy. Fuel related readouts I cannot say with certainty that they can be made to work without a Mondeo fuel sending unit and or a (rEL 5 or greater) trip computer. Once I know for certain about the fuel readouts, I will share with you all what I find out. ** rEL = software revision **

As for the led modding, surface mount led's are not easy to change out and I have my doubts a pencil iron is up to the job. Trust me when I say dont do this yourself unless you really know what the hell your doing. I paid to have the led's changed out and the reverse lcd film installed. Total cost for the led swap and the reverse lcd film installed was $50. Quite reasonable IMO.

Sean over at ledmod.com provided the service. He specializes in modding with led's and does damn fine work. Check him out here....

http://store.ledmod.com/

What Reverse LCD film does.....

http://store.ledmod.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=58

Nice work man! I was never able to find the software version I wanted and the fuel sender to go with it. I missed out on a complete package one time for dirt cheap and I'm still kicking myself for it.

If you find out more about the fuel sender let me know.

Back