• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Front plate relocated - Finally!

D.Acker

Owner/LUCA’s *****
Admin
So I finally got around to relocating the front plate. I'll list out what I did as well so if anyone wants to use the same method. I just don't like how cable tying the plate to the mesh looks.

Hardware used (you can use shorter bolts this is just what I had lying around)

(1)4 in x 1/4 Toggle bolt
(2)1/4 toggle nuts (comes in the pack with the bolts)
Angle iron (shortest piece found at Lowes)
Large Washer
Velcro

First thread the toggle nut on to the bolt, clear to the top
DSC07244.jpg

DSC07245.jpg

Second insert toggle bolt into hole of your choice
There are two circular holes on either side of the front bumper I used the passenger side hole for mounting

Hole (driver's side)
DSC07246.jpg

Hole (passenger's side with toggle bolt inserted)
DSC07247.jpg

Next place large washer on top of angle iron and place onto bolt, use 2nd toggle nut to secure
DSC07248.jpg

DSC07249.jpg

Third tighten nut to secure angle iron to bumper (washer provides cushion area so that your paint doesn't get scratched
DSC07250.jpg

DSC07251.jpg

Fourth attach plate
DSC07253.jpg

DSC07252.jpg

I did put some tabs of velcro on each end of the angle iron for two reasons
1. Keep bracket from turning side to side (you could drill another hole and use another bolt if wanted)
2. Provide a little extra security in case the nut holding bracket was to come loose.

Oh and yes, the plate bracket holes are filled, with the "christmas trees" from the plate bracket.

I will probably end up cutting that bolt off. Also I have to figure out what I'm going to do for long trips since I put a bra on for those.

Not sure if this is good enough to be a how-to, but mods feel free to move if needed.

Last edited:
that looks pretty sweet!

As far as the bra, I'm wondering if you could temporary rig the plate to the rectangular plate spot on the bra.
Maybe even use velcro tape to get it to stick in that spot.

that looks pretty sweet!

As far as the bra, I'm wondering if you could temporary rig the plate to the rectangular plate spot on the bra.
Maybe even use velcro tape to get it to stick in that spot.

Thanks. Yeah was trying to figure something like like that out, I should find a shop that sews leather\vinyl and see if they can sew the plate cutout back in then I can attach the plate there.

too ricer:shrug:

I appreciate your honest opinion. However, one question how is this any more ricer than people that relocate the plate and tie it to the mesh with cable ties? I'm not trying to be defensive\argumentative, just trying to understand.

I think it looks good there.

Thanks

i do like the fact that you actually mounted it. i just think the offset plate looks kinda ricerish. again. just my opinion.

i do however love the tropic green SVT.

i do like the fact that you actually mounted it. i just think the offset plate looks kinda ricerish. again. just my opinion.

i do however love the tropic green SVT.

Ok I see what you mean and understand that. Nice thing I can always "slide" it over since the angle iron has several holes in it. I just can't bring myself to actually drill any holes in the bumper:blackeye:

Looks very clean. Its too bad you have to even have a front plate. I dont know why Ive never really looked at a tgreen but maaaan that color is hawt. Must be the clear lights and eyebrows. dacker you should get a mirko.:drool::shocked: (green face!)

Looks very clean. Its too bad you have to even have a front plate. I dont know why Ive never really looked at a tgreen but maaaan that color is hawt. Must be the clear lights and eyebrows. dacker you should get a mirko.:drool::shocked: (green face!)

Thanks! I'd like a mirko, but can't justify the price right now. I'm probably one of the few that could drive with it on all the time too (no suspension work):laugh:

Last edited:
Im just happy that in PA we don't have to run front plates :crazy:... I hate the three holes in the front of my bumper though, ahh.

Hey thanks for the idea! :D I was going to think about how I was going to relocate my plate on the Tiburon when the bumpers get painted. Not a bad job at all.

Looks good Dave. I like how you painted the angle iron also. :cool:
Are you going to plug those holes that remain?

Looks good Dave. I like how you painted the angle iron also. :cool:
Are you going to plug those holes that remain?

Oh and yes, the plate bracket holes are filled, with the "christmas trees" from the plate bracket.

Already done. I need to repaint the top center cover, it didn't get quite enough spray. They are a :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: to get out so it will get brushed!

If you use this same technique on a SF car you wouldn't have to paint the angle iron, but unpainted it would stick out like a sore thumb on any other color!

Back