• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

OK, we didn't kill the entire car..... trailer project

blu_fuz

New Member Classroom vulture
Well, I didn't tell everyone what was going on with the '95 GL I cut in half:
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=36143

I have wanted to make a trailer to pull with the contour since I have owned my SE. SO, it's been about 8-9 years in the making. It never got started mostly because of no money, tools, or material to start a project like this but finally the planets have alligned!

The trailer just went into the paint booth for some bondo work and paint, should be ready to pull in about 2 weeks.

It will be 100% exact match of EGPLNT, IE;
-paint
-wheels
-tires
-suspension
-svt skirts
-svt bumper
-post98 reflector and tails
-exhaust
-tint
-knauberized
-shaved antenna

etc....

Here are some during pics of the build. I will post up more when the trailer is painted and such.

If you wanted to know, with all the body pieces installed (trunk, bumper, skirts) and with the spare tire in the trunk, there is only 115lbs of tounge weight, not kidding. It is really a balanced setup like this. Mostly for show and to haul junk to spring zing with, hahahehe.

Cutting day:
newpics089.jpg

newpics096.jpg

Building:
random015.jpg

random014.jpg

random013.jpg

contourtrailer002.jpg

contourtrailer003.jpg

contourtrailer004.jpg

contourtrailer005.jpg

This takes the cake for weirdest thing i have seen done to a Contour.

Congrats :crazy:

Can you put the seats and belts back in? That would make it the perfect red neck alternative to a mini van.

Current so people don't have to read so far into the thread:

Uh oh, I typed up a bunch of stuff and accidently hit ESC on the key board. Oh well :blackeye:. I guess all you wanted were pics. Just a few exterior cosmetics to finish up but other than that it is road worthy :D. I can't even tell you the reactions I have had already, this is going to be crazy driving all the way to SZ with this. I am going to cause an accident!

It pulls fantastic w/ EGPLNT. Enough power with the 3L and the built trans should have no issues. I will probably tow this everywhere I go for the next few days to make sure there are no problems.

Length is 26'-6":eek:

EGPLNT2002.jpg

EGPLNT2003.jpg

EGPLNT2004.jpg

EGPLNT2005.jpg

At SZ '09:
SZ2009218.jpg

SZ2009230.jpg

too bad you couldn't have "wedged" the front sheetmetal...you're going to catch alot of wind with that big flat panel. Just don't try to race anyone w/ it, lol

Yeah, the wind resistance is going to be significant, but I think the car will create enough of a tunnel for the trailer to fly through. It is at an angle and making a wedge would have put me over the tounge weight for the hitch.

Another reason for doing the trailer finally is because I have a built trans now and a fresh motor. I will take it easy before I finally get my tune, but after the tune I should be good to go. One of the tunes will be for towing also.......

lol. joe you've lost it. first a yellow transmission, now this. now i must make it to sz, just to see this crazy contraption haha

Dude. Don't tow it with the SE that's pushing weird, that's just stupid :blackeye:

I will keep an eye on everything and taking my time getting to SZ so I don't wreck the car. It's not stupid, it is wierd though.....

So awesome! I was afraid you'd have something come up and it wouldn't be able to make it. I see it's almost complete and no longer have any doubts.

Just make double sure that the trailer tongue is square, won't be too pretty if it isn't.

I got a good laugh out of this, will be quite a sight when it's done.:cool:

Thanks Todd it feels good to have it this far, so it will make it no matter what now.
I have already been getting laughed at by people who have seen it from start to finish and by the UPS delivery guy that walks past it every day. They call it the "Joesmobile" and "Joe's Taxi and Lip Service" where I work :laugh:...... Some old timer I work with drew the girl with wierd boobs :eek:.

Yep Tricker, konis and ground controls ;). The spring rates are perfect to have in the car for pulling a trailer because the springs don't squat down like an OEM spring. The ride height adjustment will be ideal for leveling out the "look" of the trailer too.

And to Kingpin, it has been checked over and over to make the tounge square and I have pulled it with my impala and it tracks very straight. It has just enough tounge weight to make it stable but not enough to make the car handle funny.

haha awesome!

When you get it mated up with your Contour, measure the length, bumper to bumper. I'm curious how long it is.
I've got a silly photo op. in mind. :laugh:

Back