• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Because 8 cylinders just aren't enough

HEre's an update on the build. This video was just made a few hours ago. We had no idea if it would start or not, we turned the engine over the other day and checked the electrical system. The video was cut short because there is a leak in the fuel system where the filter canister screws on.

The engine was just idling and omfg was it loud and soooooo sexy sounding. We were invited to Woodward this year by Chrysler and they wanted the car in their feature tent, but it still isn't quite ready. Maybe next year we can make it out there. Mopar magazine also caught wind of this build and wants to do an article when its done, so look for that in the future.

I was yelling "smoke" in the vid because I thought we had exhaust leaks, but its just wd 40 and some other cleaning chemicals burning off the headers

edit: I tried to embed the video but its not working

Thanks, there's still a lot to do, but now we can commit to the final step of reassembly. We bought the engine about 2-3years ago and its just been sitting around and we don't know how long it sat before we bought it. 2 days ago we turned it over with no spark plugs or fluids to check the electrical system and to pump some oil up into it. Officially it started on the 3rd try. When the fuel system pressurized on the first try we found a some small leaks then after we fixed them we bumped it to repressurize the fuel system and it coughed a little bit, then the third try is what you see in the video and it fired right up.

Great project. I noticed you still have the 6 lugs in the front those should be easily swaped out to 5 lugs from earlier dakotas. I think it is the same bolt pattern as fords, I have seen mustang cobra rims on dakotas check the genII dakota section here http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/index.php?.

Thanks for that information! I will definitely look into it. We haven't even begun to think about wheels are tired yet.

We started it up again today, no more fule or coolant leaks this time and we were able to rev it up. It sound so exotic and is just amazing!

Back