• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Because 8 cylinders just aren't enough

steelblueSE

Hard-core CEG'er
Here is an update on the project that my father and I are working on. The car is a 1956 DeSoto Firedome Seville 2dr. We recently just purchased the powertrain for the vehicle, more with that later. We got the car fully stripped down this summer, got it sandblasted, primed and the underside shot with a spray on bedliner as well as finished up the metal work. Now it is on to hours of sanding and filling and beginning to put it all back together. A few weeks ago we acquired a rear end out of a 3500 van with Dana 60 axles and 4.10 gears which will be narrowed. The front end has an early 2000s Dodge Dakota front subframe welded up to it. We recently aquired a 96 Viper engine with 3k miles and an 06 Ram SRT-10 tranny with only 22miles. We got some service and diagnostic manuals to figure out the wiring harness and the hundreds of sensors. It will be an absolute nightmare to hook up all the sensors and everything needed to make it run. The engine and trans are planned to go in around mid June. Now, onto the pics!

Car in stock form (not the color we plan to use):

Going to be sandblasted:

BAck from the sandblasters:

mmmmm:

I'd drive a pink car with a viper V10 under the hood. Thats like saying you are secure in your sexuality and overcompensating at the same time. All I know is you go to the strip and start spanking people with a pink car and you are one hell of a man, and those other guys, well lets just say they wont want to tell their buddies a pink car beat them.

The frame in the pics is the old frame. We had a parts car and my dad swapped frames by himself the week after I went back to school in the fall. The car is still covered up from the winter so I couldnt take any current pics.

what are you guys doing for rear suspension? just keeping the leaf springs?

Yea leaf springs, we are also thinking about adapting something like a Roadmaster Active suspension to help with wheel hop.

Great engine plus ugly body? Guess I'll reserve judgment until it's done.

Ugly? Well I didn't like it at first, I wanted to build a muscle car, but my dad found this with a parts car for a decent price. We really shouldn't have gotten it due to the work it needed. There are well over 1000 man hours put into it so far, we have been chugging along for 7 years now and it's time to start dumping $ into it. I am starting to really like it. Here's a back shot of a stocker, I really like the seperated lights:

The color we plan to go with is Laguna Seca blue metallic and white pearl. We wanna get as close to this blue as possible:

That is SO sick. Especially if you did that blue with chrome/polished rims.... ooooo.....

(patiently waits for Steve to offer a "really good price on a set of forged wheels")

Not comfortable with building a 4 bar? there are a lot of good kits out there too. Just a thought. A lot of air suspension systems out there today ROCK for conversions on older cars. The handling some of them give you are amazing. Just food for thought.

Great engine plus ugly body? Guess I'll reserve judgment until it's done.

you're right, that engine would be better in a contour.

Back