• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What center reflector did they use? A mystique?

EDIT, after a second look it is a mystique. Interesting.

Screw more pic, I WANT VID!

Tried earlier to get a vid of the startup and all but she won't fire. As said earlier, I may just need new race fuel.

AWESOME! I had no idea that this was even up for grabs...

Like Jim said, it was on eBay last year and was local to me. I went out to have a look at it. It was nice and I really wanted it but had no money for it at the asking price. Things move on and I ventured back to the shop hoping to intern with their Porsche race teams. Got to talking with the owner and things led back to the car. So after some haggling and whatnot, we made a deal. That was back in the fall. And now, she's finally in my garage.

just like the others of the first 10, i don't believe so. What's the "L" in the vin for? all "normal" svt's start with 1FAF right?

cool anyway. why do the rear doors not appear to be lined up right though?

Both L and F where used in the production run.

I had hoped this would go better today than it did but here is the video I shot. I found a place in Baltimore that is supposed to have some 100 octane fuel. I'm hoping to find at least 104 but 100 might do the trick. I'm also going to pull the plugs either tonight or tomorrow to see what's what with 'em.

I'll do a walk-around video tomorrow and try to get that posted before I head down south for the rest of the week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvqYJo0C6nY

Last edited:
What part of SC are you moving to?

Back home to Charleston. Been away far to long and it just seems like that's where I'm supposed to be. Plus, I still have that wrecked car to deal with that has long been waiting my TLC. I washed her for Christmas then pushed her right back under the shop.

If people would bother to read sections of the site other than the forums from time to time (;)) you would know from the VIN decoder that the L represents first-gen airbags. The part of the VIN that confirms the car is an SVT is the 'P68'; digits 5-7. The car was built so early on that Ford hadn't yet switched to the second-gen airbags for the '98 model year which supposedly happened in August of '97. My car was built in April of '97 and has second-gen airbags, so the August date doesn't seem right.

Last edited:
you shut your whore mouth!

to be honest, i've never seen an SVT with an L in the vin. And, from what i always thought, the "G" in the vin is what determined svt status.

The P indicates it's a Passenger vehicle.

The 68 shows the vehicle line and model level. 6 for Contour and 8 for SVT.

The G indicates the 2.5 DOHC HO motor that only came in the SVT's. Thus indicating that that particular vehicle is an SVT.

The 2 other E0's I've had both were 1FALP.

L is Active safety belts and first gen airbags.

F is for active safety belts and 2nd gen airbags.

Last edited:
Back