• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3.5 Ecoboost pics

Weird.... the injector housings appear to be metal. While I agree that there *shouldn't* be anything wrong with a plastic impeller (I'm back to the plastic one)... with its location, it really should have been metal.

One of the Contour's revised water pumps has a (white, I believe)plastic impellar. With a proper design and what I'm guessing to be a stronger plastic, it shouldn't be a problem.

Mark

i guess that machined out area in the piston is to reduce compression? considering the valve reliefs are still there...

Plastic water pumps :blackeye:
They've come a LONG way and have very few problems with the current designs being used. In fact, I can't think of any Ford from 04' on that has used a metal impellar. The pros of plastic greatly outweigh the cons.

Weird.... the injector housings appear to be metal.
Remember, those injectors are going to be subjected to combustion chamber pressures and temps. If they're anything like diesel injectors, their internal workings will also generate much more heat than the normal gas injectors we're used to.

i guess that machined out area in the piston is to reduce compression? considering the valve reliefs are still there...
That probably mimics the spray pattern of the incoming fuel. Powerstroke pistons are dished somewhat like that, but centered because the injector is in the middle of the bore.

Remember, those injectors are going to be subjected to combustion chamber pressures and temps. If they're anything like diesel injectors, their internal workings will also generate much more heat than the normal gas injectors we're used to.

That probably mimics the spray pattern of the incoming fuel. Powerstroke pistons are dished somewhat like that, but centered because the injector is in the middle of the bore.
Yep, this is a direct injection engine and that explains the injectors and piston.
-J

One of the Contour's revised water pumps has a (white, I believe)plastic impellar. With a proper design and what I'm guessing to be a stronger plastic, it shouldn't be a problem.

Mark

Wanna bet the higher cost supplier had the white one at prototype phase and purchasing/buyers turned it down??? I love working in the auto industry! :rolleyes: :p

do_want.jpg

So does this motor have it's own block design? "Cause for some reson, that top end looks a bit like a Duratec in architecture to me...

Nice eye on the pistons, BTW.

Think i'm gonna need to pick one of these up to swap into something... Maybe a Miata... Always wanted to build something different... :)

this engine is a sick little devil. You guys will like it a lot. The downside is, serious power increases won't be super easy because the stock turbos are very small, and the DI pump doesn't have much room to increase fuel delivery and DI pump upgrades won't show up very quickly from the aftermarket.

why not let the aftermarket know the pumps so they can build a bigger one. that way when the cars come out they R&D is already started or done.

and why not let aftermarket companies get pre release cars so that when the cars are finally released they have stuff for them.

maybe manufactures already do this and im an idiot.

engine looks like a fun one

Back