• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Crazy Header install weekend...

Guitarman19853

Hard-core CEG'er
Here is my page with pics and the whole story:

http://www.ryan-white.net/headers/

I won't re-tell it all here but basically some highlights were:

All the parts:
DSCF5582.JPG

Piece of glass that has been sitting ON TOP OF THE VALVE for at least 30k miles since I've owned the car :shocked::shocked::shocked:

DSCF5614.JPG

Someone smashed a shop light on top of the engine and never cleaned it up. All the glass that we found, including the one in the intake:
DSCF5621.JPG

85 MPH winds sunday night took their toll...
DSCF5703.JPG

And after the weekend the car wasn't running right and took me a while to track down the problem:
DSCF5758.JPG

But really, go read the full story on my page :) It really was nuts... But so worth it in the end. I just took the first drive with it all working properly tonight and wow yeah. Not as loud as I thought it would be, but it will hold me over until next summer when there is more planned :laugh:

But really, go read the full story on my page :) It really was nuts... But so worth it in the end. I just took the first drive with it all working properly tonight and wow yeah. Not as loud as I thought it would be, but it will hold me over until next summer when there is more planned :laugh:

Nice work man! the headers dont really make the car much louder with a stock exhaust, but they do really change the note of the exhaust, you can actually hear the duratec sing :drool: it even sounds REALLY nice with the stock exhaust.

i agree^ its not much louder,but had a deeper tone to it,esp w/the stock catback. out of all the exhaust systems i've used w/headers,stock sounds the best,imho.

awesome man.... how are your knuckles?

probably jacked up!

Im thinking back on all of my header installs, and I realized that I had never done a header install with the engine in the car... out of the 4 I have done :troutslap:

worst part is, my car doesnt even have headers :troutslap:

It is all about the tools... With the right flex and extension attachments, anything is possible. I know when I got home and had to pull the coil pack and plugs out again last night, the extensions I had were either just too short or just too long... So it was harder than when I had the right assortment.
Oh, we didn't drop the subframe either.

i agree^ its not much louder,but had a deeper tone to it,esp w/the stock catback. out of all the exhaust systems i've used w/headers,stock sounds the best,imho.

Obviously you need to hear my combo... MSDS Headers, Optimized y-pipe, stock cat and True Borla catback...

:drool:

Wow I guess a lot happened after I left Friday night. And I thought the glass was going to be the worse part. LOL. Glad to see the car is back together and running right.

Back