• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

"Winterized" already, you never know...snow shoes and mats!

Klasse Act

I pee with gloves on!
With the temps dropping and flurries last week, I decided to get the MINI ready for winter by wrapping the stockers in shoe shoes and laying down some winter mats from the dealership. I went with the Hankook "Ice Bears" and I must say that I like them already, here's why. First off they're V-speed rated, so I'm not going to miss a thing in the handling department AND they're true snow tires, a win win for sure. Secondly, the tires aren't runflats and although my 2nd generation Dunlop runflats are WAY better than what came on the R53's (2002-2006's), the ride is amazing compared to them, I'm truely blown away! My buddy Paul at Discount Tire suggested these tires to me because he had the previous version on his car last year and really liked them, so I took his advice and went for it. I previously stated I was thinking about the Michelin "Pilot" Alpin PA2's for another $100.00, but they weren't an extra Cee-Note, try and extra TWO Cee-Notes:shocked: , the extra "hundy" was for the regular Michelin Ice-X's and those aren't perf snows and don't have the extra load rating, so I went with the Hankooks. I did some reading on them too and they seem to wear pretty good which is good because I drive alot of miles seeing that I'm using my car for work.

Here's a couple pics of the car with the stockers and snow shoes mounted up, along with my MINI winter mats, well worth the money I paid for them as they're VERY heavy duty!

I went from the stock size of P205/45/17 to a slightly taller p205/50/17, I'm sure it helped in the improved ride quality too, not that it matters too much in a MINI, but its ok, its just winter tires and its not like I'm going to be going around corners fast...YEAH RIGHT!
100_6142.jpg

All shined up and nowhere to go!
100_6141.jpg

You can see the difference 32 coats makes, right:shrug:
100_6143.jpg

That classic profile!
100_6144.jpg

Ready to go into the garage for the night.
100_6145.jpg

Heavy duty and ready to work, the MINI all weather mats. Who else would post pics of their new mats, LOL!
100_6146.jpg

Not too many people ride in the back, but just incase!
100_6147.jpg

Ok, I've spent enough money on the car today and for the record, my car has 14.8K on the clock and the computer is telling me my first oil change is due in 8K, the tradition continues of being a "wuss" driver:shrug: While I was at the dealership today I spoke to the service advisor and she said "WOW!, you must really baby your car".

This is how hard core I am. Thinking about running the dragon a few days after christmas, with the Dunlop Graspics

This is how hard core I am. Thinking about running the dragon a few days after christmas, with the Dunlop Graspics

I believe Eric (Chattavegas) said the road is closed during the winter monthes. Did you already get those tires? I was actually looking at those because the price is pretty good. If you want, I can talk to my buddy and get you a price and if so, let me know what size you need. Glad you looking into snow tires for that car because you don't wanna ruin that ride you've been wanting for so long;)

Speaking of the Dragon, maybe now you'll want to 4 wheel it down there:shrug:

I believe Eric (Chattavegas) said the road is closed during the winter monthes. Did you already get those tires? I was actually looking at those because the price is pretty good. If you want, I can talk to my buddy and get you a price and if so, let me know what size you need. Glad you looking into snow tires for that car because you don't wanna ruin that ride you've been wanting for so long;)

Speaking of the Dragon, maybe now you'll want to 4 wheel it down there:shrug:

I'd be willing to make a trip down to the dragon this spring/summer.

Brand new graspics came with the car. I won't ever drive a car down there unless its to cold to be on the bike.

Yeah it's been near freezing down here, so I can only assume the Dragon area is well below that. Check www.tailofthedragon.com first, before you drive all the way down here and turn around in Maryville. ;)

Thanks Eric and I can't wait to see what you've done to the MS6 by then, keep us updated and BTW, get yourself some BBQ and gambling out of the way so you can join us next year:shrug:

Tennis Elbow and a mild case of OCD? :shrug:

My elbow is fine and the time for that many coats is this, I used to work aftenoons and nothing but time on my hand...wait, I used to do that with the Contour as well:laugh: I think a full clay, AIO & SGX'2 once a month is going to be the order of the day:shrug:

Speak for yourself about the "Dirty" South, Ryan. :p

Roger - I've got a Fujita intake and I'm trying to find a CorkSport downpipe. I found tons of 'em on ebay for a while, then last time I looked, I couldn't find any. :shrug: IIRC, CPE makes a sexy downpipe. ;) The Clean South:
e7add238.jpg

e774fabc.jpg

I'm thinking about powdercoating the intake pipe black; the chrome spots really easily. :(

im going to be tooling around in a mini-van over the winter :)

The other night it got really really cold, like in the 20s and I got out of work around 3am, it was hell driving my car until I got on the highway and the tires came to temperature. My car felt like a rock going over bumps :blackeye: but boy does she purrrr in the winter :drool:

Back