• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

1999 CSVT #583 and the 1997 Contour Sport

BlueSupreme

CEG'er
I made this to basically a have a post to share my CSVT project from start to finish, with the CEG feedback:wink:, and whats left of my Sport build. I'll start off with this unlisted video of my CSVT that I took on a rainy day, its cinematic but I didn't record anything else but the front. https://youtu.be/Wi0EwvXku0k Enjoy:grin:

Oh yeah, some scratches here or there but mostly "Mint." Sucks that the only thing wrong with this car is the engine, so much work but will be soooo worth it! Originally I didn't like the green, but when I saw the car and bought it... I just love it so much now.

Just for kicks, if anyone's a Porsche fan here is my dad's 944 doing a quick rev. YouTube

Last edited:
No Title

Will probably upload more pictures of the previous stages in which it wasn't road legal yet but here it is. Finally on the road, it's only temporarily registered at the moment but still!!!

Attachments

• photo18063.JPG
    photo18063.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 1
And on the same day of the UCONN Car Show 2018, 4/15/18, my just restored temporary registered 1997 Sport decided to stall after I pushed the clutch in seeing the engine oil light flickering and not start anymore. The starter turns over the engine but with a lot of resistance... I've got a bad feeling the engine is binding. I'll have to do some research online and more testing before I decide to pull an engine from a car I just finished and put on the road but I'll give an update. Sadly this pushes back the SVT project too, maybe I can get an engine for that car to at least get it temporarily running if worse comes to worst.

That sucks, sorry. I am having a shop rebuild my 3L hybrid currently, hopefully for the last time! Forged pistons and rods, etc. Hard to justify $7k spent on a 99 ford contour, but it's worth it.

Good luck!

I bought a 1997 Mercury engine from a local salvage yard, crossing my fingers it will last a little while. I did get the engine free before buying that engine and sure enough... rod knock. I honestly thought it would last a little bit longer but yeah 46 mile engine change after restoring the car isn't fun. At least I got the engine out in about three days, which is pretty dang good considering it took a couple months the first time. I'm about ready to put the new engine in but my Eagle Scout project caught up to me so I'll be busy for a little while. This does allow for me to start doing performance upgrades on the original engine for that car but it is also annoying because I'd like to get to my SVT soon. :grin:

Little bit of an update, that engine worked fine and the car now has over 225,000 miles!! I even took the car up to Maine for a trip with my friends over July 4th, 2018 and it ran fine other than the coolant res cap wasn't sealing. The plan next is to get dual exhaust on the car and fix the exhaust leak from the headers to Y-Pipe connections. I also backed the car into a rock I didn't see...:nonono::cry:... oops so I've will have to eventually pull the bumper off and the damage isn't even that bad so yeah. The SVT doesn't require much more work for the engine to come out its just a matter of having a free weekend. I'll upload some pictures when the cars are clean and the time is right, as far as I can tell my SVT is 100% original which is good for value.

No Title

Here's a before and after of my exhaust upgrade to the truebendz Borla 2.5inch dual exhaust. Excuse the exhaust leak from my header, I will be finally fixing that when I pull this engine out for the head gasket that I blew on it. My SVT engine is pulled and has just been taken apart, the block has some small damage but I think it should still be usable, I will get an answer from the machine shop whether they think it is still usable when I send it there. The photos will show some pretty serious damage, I think the kid before me was revving the engine even though he knew it was knocking.

Sport exhaust
Before: https://youtu.be/ELNXWyfcuxQ
After: https://youtu.be/Vx536uIc1bM

Attachments

• photo18469.JPG
    photo18469.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • photo18470.JPG
    photo18470.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Back