• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

18x7 White Wheel repair before/after

hourang

CEG'er
So my wheels were junk and I couldn't take it anymore. I had to restore them, this is what I did:

1. Cleaned the wheel as best I could, let it soak for a long time with simple green on it. scrubbed the crap out of it with a brush.
2. Popped the center cap out
3. Sanded the cap with progressively less grain count til smooth then polished with rubbing compound.
4. Painted the cap with 3-4 coats of clear coat. super shiny (forgot to take a pic of after but its soo much better.
5. Scuffed the wheel with a red scotch bright pad in every nook and cranny
6. Sanded the rough spots of the wheel super smooth using a handheld sander. you can see that the center ring indentation is completely gone.
7. Used air to clean all the dust off, then wiped it down to remove everything for painting.
8. Painted the wheel with 3 coats of white rustoleum. wasnt sure on how well the rustoleum would work out but i am impressed with how well it looks.

BEFORE (this is actually after scrubbing it with a hard bristle brush and bleach):
beforewheel.jpg

AFTER:
afterwheel.jpg

NEXT:

I wanted to wait 24 hours for the white to dry before I spray clear coat. After a bunch of coats of clear and drying, I will wax it all. Then repeat for the other 3 wheels (yikes). I spent 2 hours on this one but this is seriously a night and day difference. I couldn't be happier with how well this turned out. This is the first time I have done anything like this, if anyone has any comments/critiques/advise or time savings, I openly welcome it!

Attachments

• beforewheel.jpg
    beforewheel.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
yikes, nevermind on the clear coat, it screwed up the rustoleum and started cracking and falling apart. gonna have to skip that or figure out a different type of paint/clear system.

talked to a guy at napa and he said that cracking is caused by improper cleaning. some oil or film was left behind and the paint is de-laminating. Makes sense. So for the next wheel i will pick up some prep spray, maybe some tact cloths for the dust. Also for better results, he recommended using paints from the same manufacturer.

Not just paints from the same manufacturer, but paints of the same chemistry, primarily the solvent carrier. Clear coats are often Lacquer based, and Lacquer solvents will eat right into dried oil based paints (Like Rustoleum...) and may soften water based paints as well. If you're unsure, spray a paint test coat on something you don't care about, let it dry and test the clear coat for compatibility.

Back