This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acronyms Explained

Hey everyone, I know a lot of you are reading through these forums and see a bunch of random seeming letters spread about the forum, and you are thinking to yourself..... huh?

We will start with the basics.

CEG - Contour Enthusiast Group aka www.contour.org
    NECO - New Edge Cougar Owners AKA www.newcougar.org
    SVT - Special Vehicle Team. Fords "in-house tuning shop"
    CSVT - Contour SVT. SVTs version of a Contour. These came with a high output version of the duratec V6, leather interior, white face gauges, 16" aluminum wheels and some slight suspension upgrades.

E0 This is a term coined by CEG which basically means Evolution 0 or early 98. There were several minor changes to the contour mid model year 98. The simplest way to tell if you have an E0 contour is to look at your instrument cluster. If your instrument cluster says "normal" in the temp window, you have an E0 contour. There is no definite cut-off date, and some of the changes were mixed between the E0 and E1 contours. E0s are generally equipped with a clock in the dash and ding guards on the door that look like the following:

A special note for persons with a V6 E0 contour. If you ever need to replace the temp sending unit that controls your temp gauge, you will need to get one for a 97 or earlier contour.

Here is an example of what e0 wheels looked like. They had a smooth center cap that matches the contours of the wheel and says SVT in the middle.

075..jpg

E1 Another term coined by CEG meaning Evolution 1 or 98.5. As I alluded to before, there were many minor changes in mid model year 98. In dash clock was replaced with a piece of trim that says "Contour", different wheels for the SVT model, tires changed for the SVT, different strut valving (so I hear), changes to the ECU and wiring harness, slight changes to the dash (doesn't look different) and the word normal was removed from the temperature gauge. Ding guards were also changed as follows

E1 contours use the same parts as all following years of contour. The wheels for the E1 look like the following:

e1 wheels..jpg

Please note, that aside from the cluster, many of the e0 and e1 parts were interchanged between e0 and e1 contours, for example, you may have an e0 with e1 ding guards, or an e1 equipped with the factory clock.

<b>

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
    Just to make it abundantly clear, E0 and E1 ONLY APPLIES TO THE 1998 MODEL YEAR.

Some people mistakenly apply "E1" to any Contour SVT that has the Cobra style wheels.

The 99's and 00's also had "evolutionary" changes so they are NOT THE SAME AS AN E1.

To make it more clear, E1, means "Evolution 1" and is a Ford term. E0 is a CEG coined term to describe the 98's prior to E1.

Some have jokingly in the past called the 99 an "E2" and the 00 an "E3".

Also (not in response to your post), there is a clear date on the change from E0 to E1. It was the first production day in February 1998. There does seem to be a few things that were either mixed or didn't happen with that date, such as a clock and possibly the ding strips.

The Contour 1998.5 change for other than the SVT happened earlier. Probably about November 1998. The door ding strips were the most noticeable change. So saying that the 1998.5 SVT is an E1 is not entirely accurate.

The 1998 Contour was an early release. The 1997 Contour had a short run. My SVT was built (#240) in April 1997.
    OTHER RANDOM ACRONYMS
    PATS</b> - Passive Anti-Theft System
    IMRC - Intake Manifold Runner Control
    EGR - Exhaust Gas Recirculation
    IAC - Idle Air Control
    UIM - Upper Intake Manifold
    LIM - Lower Intake Manifold
    PCM - Powertrain Control Module
    MAF - Mass Air Flow sensor
    TPS - Throttle Position Sensor
    DPFE - Delta ( differential ) Pressure Feedback EGR sensor
    VSS - Vehicle Speed Sensor
    TB - Throttle Body
    TOB - Throw Out Bearing
    MIL - Malfunction Indicator Light
    CEL - Check Engine Light -- Same as MIL
    PSPS - Power Steering Pressure Switch
    CV - Constant Velocity - IE CV Axles
    PCV - Positive Crankcase Ventilation
    VCT - Variable Cam Timing
    Paint and Interior Colors
    MB - Midnight Blue
    PT - Prairie Tan
    Tred - Toreador Red
    SF - Silver Frost
    B - Black
    Tgreen - Tropic Green

<b>
    Terms to Know
    </b>
    Knauberized - CEG term for removed door ding guards
    Hightowering - CEG term for removing the lenses on the headlights and painting the trim areas a different color (not the reflector)
    Zetec - 4 cylinder 2.0 liter engine that the contour was equipped with
    Duratec - 6 cylinder 2.5 liter engine that the contour and CSVT were equipped with

For a little more information, the member Beans did a GREAT photo thread of various engine parts and locations that can be found here

If a mod could sticky this, or link to it in a read first thread, I'd appreciate it. Also, if anyone has any relevant information to add to this thread, please do so. PLEASE, do not clog this thread with a bunch of discussion, questions or comments. If you have a question about something that you can't find in here, please ask in the thread you read about it in, or feel free to make use of the search function. We woudl prefer you used the search function as often as possible, but for those hard to find answers, we would be more than happy to help.

Also, thanks to the members whose photos I "borrowed" for this thread.
    Last edited by BrApple; 09-28-2010, 04:03 PM.
    I strongly abide by the motto, "Safety third."

I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.

Glad someone else is doing stuff to contribute sticky's. I was going to make more but, no one cares.
    '98 SVT E0 BLK/MNB#1663 Forged Ovalport 3L Supercharged

Comment

added link to the "read first thread"
      - 12 Focus SE
      - 99 Contour SeVT <- 3L/NPG Turbo
      - 2k Contour SVT - #2137

Comment

Working...
      X