• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Hesitation, CEL, and steering question

Alex532

CEG'er
I've got several problems I need help with. My car is a 95 v6 manual.

I just got my baby back together, she has new AEM intake, MSDS headers, BAT y-pipe + high flow cat, and Bosal cat back exhaust now installed. Transmission is brand new and engine has 28,000 miles on it. Full Koni sport kit with camber kit in the front, all poly bushings in the back, and new front LCAs.

1) I'm experiencing some hesitation at low RPMs, below 3,000...I give her gas and she doesn't really response for about 2 seconds and then she takes off. The problem isn't real consitent though, I haven't put more than 150 miles on her so far, but it appears that the problem is more pronounced when she is cold.

2) Possibly related to problem #1, I'm getting a check engine light, but it doesn't seem to happen when I experience the hesitation. The CEL codes are DTC 335 and 336 for "exhaust gas recirculation valve pressure sensor voltage higher or lower than expected during KOEO self-test" and "Exhaust pressure high, exhaust gas recirculation valve pressure sensor voltage higher than expected." respectively. The EGR valve had about 5,000 miles on it before I pulled it from my blown engine and put it on this engine. What should I check here?

3) I just had my car aligned by the performance alignment here in Cincinnati, that place is amazing...Anyway, after they aligned it the car drove perfect, then I went and put my new 17" SVT focus wheels with Kumho ECSTA MX 215/45 tires on, now it is very responsive which I expected, but it feels like my steering is loose and it kind of pulls to which ever side I last turned the wheel...Does that make sense? It almost feels like it is out of alignment now, but I've never driven a contour with 17" wheels, so maybe it is just normal? Do I need to make modifications to the rack to handle 17" wheels? The car came stock with 14s.

Thanks for your help.

1.Disconnect the battery if you have not done so already. This will clear all codes and allow The computer to adjust for any new additions you have done to your car.
Remove negative cable for 30 Min's.

2.The alignment has to be done with the set of rims you decide to be using. Switching wheels and tires will cause an imbalance. Therefore causing pulling to either side, and wearing out your tires sooner.
Remember every set of wheels are balanced for a reason with a recomended alignment when purchased. Sometimes you can get lucky and put different wheels on and not have this problem. For the most of us. A wheel alignment is a must.

1. check to make certainyou didn't reverse the hoses for the DPFE sensor.

2. Wheels and rims will not change the vehicles alignment unless one of them is defective.

Kumhos were on my 94 SHO when I bought it. I found them to be unsatisfactory due to insufficient sidewall rigidity. A Krispy Kreme doughnut would have provided better handling.

Steve

1.Disconnect the battery if you have not done so already. This will clear all codes and allow The computer to adjust for any new additions you have done to your car.
Remove negative cable for 30 Min's.

2.The alignment has to be done with the set of rims you decide to be using. Switching wheels and tires will cause an imbalance. Therefore causing pulling to either side, and wearing out your tires sooner.
Remember every set of wheels are balanced for a reason with a recomended alignment when purchased. Sometimes you can get lucky and put different wheels on and not have this problem. For the most of us. A wheel alignment is a must.

1) I will try disconnecting the battery, but since it is an ODB I, I don't think it stores information, does it?

2) I'm going to swing by the alignment shop tomorrow and see what they can do, thanks.

1. check to make certainyou didn't reverse the hoses for the DPFE sensor.
1) I'm almost positive I got them on correct, since I put them on before I put the engine in the car and there was a slight internal diameter difference between the two, but I will check it out.

Kumhos were on my 94 SHO when I bought it. I found them to be unsatisfactory due to insufficient sidewall rigidity. A Krispy Kreme doughnut would have provided better handling.
I was worried this might be the case because they were such a good price, but they are rated so highly on tirerack that I couldn't resist.

"I will try disconnecting the battery, but since it is an ODB I, I don't think it stores information, does it?"
It does.

"I'm almost positive I got them on correct, since I put them on before I put the engine in the car and there was a slight internal diameter difference between the two, but I will check it out."
Yes, humor us by checking it again. Note that upstream is the bottom "pipe" and downstream is the upper "pipe".

Check out this Autozone schematic. Click on Fig. 1.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/1b/ca/1e/0900823d801bca1e.jsp

I checked out the DPFE sensor and it is definitely hooked up correctly, that diagram definitely helped with that too, thanks.

I disconnected the battery for the night, so we'll see how she goes tomorrow.

Thanks for your advice.

Does anyone know why the rack, or maybe just the inner tie rods, are different on the contour with 15" wheels than the ones with 14" wheels? I'm still wondering if I need to modify something about my steering system to correctly accommodate my new 17" wheels?

Last edited:
Back