• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

'95-'97 rod shift interchange

blu_fuz

New Member Classroom vulture
F5RZ7B140A

Ford is showing the same part number for the 2.0L and 2.5L rod shift mechanism for a '95-'97 Contour/Mystique.

Can anyone confirm or deny that? The u-joints in my shifter assembly are trashed and they are part of the shift mech.. I can't find anyone that has a specific 2.5L mtx 95-97 shifter assembly from the knob all the way to the trans, all the cars get scrapped before that part gets pulled.

Teamfordparts is showing they have them to sell, I emailed to see if they are really available and asked them to send me a picture.... we will see.

Go seek the wisdom of MTX-75 GURU Terry Haines, over at the FCO site - fordcontour.org - He refurbs/rebuilds these shift rods on a regular basis.

I know he does, I just didn't want to bother because I always seem to go over there when I have a question for him LOL

I know he does, I just didn't want to bother because I always seem to go over there when I have a question for him LOL

??? That is just plan old SMARTS going to the accurate source of the information ;-) I assure you this is no bother to Terry. Tell him Mondeoman sent you!!

No worries, I started a thread over there and sent him a PM with a link to it.

Hopefully he has an idea of what might be going on with the transmission too.

Thanks

He has replied to some of my questions but still didn't say if they were the same shifter/rod.....

Anyone else know?

I can't think of a reason it wouldn't be. The shift tower on mtx's of those years is the same, then it should be identical.

Absolutely no contours at the yard this weekend. I need to call that place later for you.

Thanks for checking for me Sam.

JKyoder, the worn u-joints won't cause you to grind gears really, but they do cause you to miss gears.

Damn, striking out here. I might have to buy the one local to me and deal with it until I can get one rebuilt by Terry Haines.

JKyoder, the worn u-joints won't cause you to grind gears really, but they do cause you to miss gears.

Thanks. Sorta figured that might be the case, but not much experience with a rod shift car. Didn't get to drive the on in my driveway for long till the wiring issues popped up.

Back