• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Strangest Thing Ever??

Got new tires(YAY) was informed I needed a wheel bearing hub on PS. The shop wanted to charge me $480.00 plus the cost of an alignment!! So, I was like, uh, no way! Anyhoo, my fiance got the hub from AutoZone(never again, it didn't fit), and put it on after some major trouble with a freakin' spindle nut that didn't fit! Because we both had to work, and had to go through so much trouble to find a spindle nut that fits, my Jellybean sat for 4 days on an angle. To find the right nut for my car he had to take the entire axle out on the PS, found it, put the axle back in, and tires back on, saved myself about...$300! That was until I tired to start her, battery dead, jumped off, still noting. It was like she wasn't getting fuel, so we changed the fuel pump(that was not fun, but had to be done). Couldn't figure it out, but after some frustration, cursing like a sailor, she finally started. Fuses...checked, ALT...checked...starter...checked...MAF...checked... I'm still nervous because the battery was dead this morning, and I have no idea what it is, anyone have any idea?? Thanks in advance...and oh, btw, the fiance is a mechanic he just prefers not to work on Fords...(hater)...and yeah, I know maybe I should have just paid the $480 but...meh, uh, just no...

480$ is too much. I just did a hub assembly and had them press in a bearing from oreillys (50$ for the good one) and it cost me 180 in labor and parts. not sure how that would have effected the car starting tho..

I had the same thing done for about the same price as Satya on my car... You could have a ground short on your voltage regulator that is killing the battery over night... Happened to me, I did the whole alternator since it's a huge PITA to replace. Just a quick guess though. What is the idle voltage at the battery and how about higher RPMs?

Back