• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

HELP! Horrible rear tire wear issues

csvt1999

New CEG'er
I purchased this car almost a year ago with 83k on the clock, the rear tires had a bit of uneven wear so i ended up replacing all 4 with some toyo proxies. now about 15k later i pulled off my tires to find the rears are completely shot and im clueless as to why? i would think a rear camber problem but the rear camber is not adjustable if im correct? any ideas to what the problem is? I cant afford to keep buying tires! Thanks in Advance!!
Dan

1009131102_zps21359dc2.jpg

1009131102b_zps23d0ce4f.jpg

Which Toyo Proxes is that? Looks like one of the high-performance warm-weather R series tires? Did you ever rotate them?

Most of Toyo's high perf tires have a treadwear rating of 140, so they're not going to last long anyway, but treadwear-wise, that tire is done, and if these are the ultra-soft high performance summer tires, the wheel alignment has to be just practically perfect, or they will wear rapidly and badly. Also, high performance street tires need more frequent rotation to even out the wear.

Contours are known for rear toe problems, and excessive toe-in or toe-out can carve up the edge of a tire like that pretty rapidly, suggest you have the alignment and suspension condition checked.

Yep. Somebody put a floor jack or a tow strap on your rear lower control arm.
Yep, Discount Tire did this to me, the arm was noticeably bent sitting on the jack pad. I pointed it out to the manager, "That's how we always jack these..." "Then you always bend them" I said. The manager offered to replace the arm and pay for an alignment, I pulled it off and straightened it. Makes me wonder how many of these cars have dorked up rear alignment from visits to tire shops.

Worn control arm bushings, bent control arm, as well as weak/broken/sagging springs will cause excessive camber, and subsequently the wear you are seeing.

Thanks everyone for all the replies! Turns out both of my control arm were bent, im guessing by the guys who installed my tires back in the spring because any time i need to work on the car i just throw it up on the hoist at my parents house. Anyways i took the control arms off today and bent them back, tomorrow i will be getting new tires and getting a 4 wheel alignment. Just curious would be a bad idea to weld some flat steel to the back side of the arms to give them a little more strength?

Back